Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2009 16:00

Dimension 9150 Error Code 3700:011B

I ran the fan diagnostics because my fan is extremely loud right from bootup and it never quiets down. 

I got the Error Code 3700:011B.  Expected CPU Fan on High of 2700RPM, Detected fan RPM = 3994. 

I swapped out fans from a broken Optiplex 745 and it didn't fix my problem.  I've been reading the forum on this problem and I am thinking that this is a motherboard issue.  That a temp. sensor can't read the CPU temp so it runs the fan at max RPM's.

Can anyone confirm this for me?  Or is it worth buying another fan?  I realize that fans are cheap, but with shipping that fan is going to cost alot.

Also, I've read about replacing the standard CPU fan and cooling system with a 3rd party setup.  It seems that this is possible, with the exception of getting an error at startup and needing to press F1.  Is this true and is this the only issue with running a third party CPU fan?

Thanks for the help.

Greg

3 Posts

July 25th, 2009 12:00

I'm having the same issue, did  you find a fix for it? thanks.

280 Posts

April 27th, 2011 10:00

I have a new Alienware (Dell) Area 51 ALX and the system fan first run high, then o.k. (i.e.originally an  intermittent problem) now constantly over 4000 RPM  and yes I have  the Fan error Cod 3700:11B. But fan is running too high and can't be controlled.  So the Alienware support people didn't even consider that the fan is the problem but that the I/O board (which in this system controlls the fan speed) no longer can control the fan based on the various temperature sensors in the system which all around 20 to 21 C, i.e. no reason for the fan to run that high nor that the active venting, which this system has it's vents be fully open.

Thus, it appears if fan is running too high and noicy (i.e. not just an incorrect RPM recording) and system temperature is o.k, it's not the fan but the board which controls the fan speed. which in some system may be the motherboard 

Dell technician is to come to-day to install another I/O board - Should that not fix it I will follow up on this post.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 27th, 2011 14:00

3700-011B from the 32 bit diags is a fan test failure. In English, the RPM it expects is not the RPM that it sees. Usually happens in conjunction wit thermal events/ issues.

280 Posts

May 2nd, 2011 16:00

Well,  the I/O board was replaced.  - Big job - and all is o.k. now.  Running the Fan and board tests now - no errors. Test was able to set high and low fan speeds via the I/O board and fan reacted accordingly. Thus the actual system fan, which was NOT replaced is and was o.k, it just couldn't be controlled, even though firmware on the I/O board was also updated by the Alienware technician when he updated the Alienware Command Centre Software.

No Events found!