Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2012 13:00

Dimension E510 keyboard failure and Floppy diskette failure

Hello, I bought a dimension E510 about 5 years ago.. The motherboard failed a few years after that so I replaced it with a new one and the computer ran like a charm, but recently I got a keyboard failure and floppy diskette seek failure, is there anyway to fix this problem? I have done almost everything I can to get this fixed, I have used many mouses and keyboards and still no luck, I tried removing the jumper block which is connected to 2 of the 3 pins on the motherboard, reconnected and that didnt work.. I tried removing the battery for a few minutes, that didn't work.. Is there a way to fix it without having to buy a new motherboard? Maybe putting in a PCI USB card will fix it? Please if someone could help.. I need this problem resolved asap

37 Posts

April 1st, 2012 13:00

Do you use the Floppy drive? If not, go into the BIOS by pressing F2 when you see the big Dell logo. Then disable the floppy drive by going into the drive configuration (not sure exactly what it is called because it differs model to model) and selecting FDD. You will then see an option to disable the FDD (Floppy Disk Drive). About the keyboard failure, have you tried a different keyboard? That would be the first thing to do. If that does not help, try updating your BIOS by downloading the latest version from Dell's drivers and downloads site.

Wade

3 Posts

April 1st, 2012 14:00

I have used different keyboards, second how am I supposed to update my BIOS or go into it when my keyboard doesn't work? Cause of the failure

37 Posts

April 1st, 2012 15:00

Sorry, that won't work in the BIOS, but it will in Windows. I thought it was a keyboard failure where the keyboard is still working (that is the kind I have seen). So sorry for any frustrations I have caused.

Wade

37 Posts

April 1st, 2012 15:00

Use the on-screen keyboard.

Wade

14.4K Posts

April 1st, 2012 16:00

Try replacing the battery. Its a CR2032 battery you can get one at most places that sell watch batteries

3 Posts

April 1st, 2012 17:00

I will try getting a new battery..And for some reason the mouse isn't working either-.-

No Events found!