Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2009 16:00

Dimension E520 error. "Drive 4 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-4"

ok, long story short... My motherboard burnt out on me so i bought and installed a new one.  Ever since then I get the error msg "Drive 4 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-4" when turning the comp on.  If I try to continue on in safe mode or any mode really then it kicks me to a blue screen.  I took my comp into a best buy geek squad place and they looked at it and told me they thought I was going to have to revert everything back to default settings and I would have to call Dell in order to do that.  Does anyone know how to fix my problem?  And if I do need to revert back to my defualt settings then how do I do that?

799 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 17:00

Hello Tonyzconfusion, Not knowing the model of your system, I would be just guessing.

But I would enter the BIOS and make sure the drive is recogonized in the drive section.

If not, make sure the SATA cable and power cable are properly connected to the drive and motherboard.

If there is no drive connected to this port4, then disable the port4 in the BIOS and the error will go away.

I would not go back to the default settings until I verified the SATA4 error.

Just some thoughts.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 23rd, 2009 20:00

Hello Tonyzconfusion, Not knowing the model of your system, I would be just guessing.

But I would enter the BIOS and make sure the drive is recogonized in the drive section.

If not, make sure the SATA cable and power cable are properly connected to the drive and motherboard.

If there is no drive connected to this port4, then disable the port4 in the BIOS and the error will go away.

I would not go back to the default settings until I verified the SATA4 error.

Just some thoughts.

Hanspuppa, I believe you will find that the computer model [e520] is listed in the title of the post.     :emotion-55:

Bev.

January 23rd, 2009 20:00

My system is a Dell Dimension E520 if that helps.  I checked in the Bios and it says I have nothing connected to SATA-4 and it is currently "off."  I disconected and reconnected all the cords that I had before with the new motherboard.  I am still having all the same problems.  Any other ideas? 

Thank You

No Events found!