Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 16th, 2008 13:00

Dimension E521 does not boot

Right, long one this.

For awhile i've been getting blue screens and to resolve it i tried updating all the drivers/bios etc. Upon completing this the computer worked fine. Today however it wont boot up at all. Upon turning the desktop on the cooling fan kicks into overdrive and the 3 and 4 lights are flashing on the front of the desktop. Also nothing comes up on the screen and nothing i do will change this. It will then just sit like this until i turn it off.

I've had a look around on the forums and its sounds like it could be a bios problem. i have bios version 1.1.10. i downloaded it from the dell support site, and installed as an administrator.

Any ideas what i can do now to recitfy this problem?

The desktop is out of warranty by a month so i cant claim it under warranty and have not seen anything else posted anywhere which could help me.

Thanks for any help,

Rich

Ps: Any more information you want then please dont hesitate to ask.

9.4K Posts

March 16th, 2008 13:00

On your model, diagnostic lights 3 & 4 are indicating a problem with the memory.  Try reseating the modules to see if that corrects the problem.  If not, try the modules one at a time.  Click here for an explanation of the diagnostic codes your model can produce.  Click here for a reference on how to install memory from your model's on-line Service Manual. 

As for the BIOS, version 1.1.11 is the latest update released by Dell for your model.  You can click here for a download of it.

9.4K Posts

March 16th, 2008 20:00

I'm glad to have been of assistance.  You're very welcome.

If you still have a warranty on the system I would suggest calling Dell for a replacement motherboard.

March 16th, 2008 20:00

Thanks for the help. Computer is up and running now.

Turned out to be a faulty Dimm slot. Both memory modules work fine. Got one in Dimm1 and the other in Dimm3.

Weird fault. Wud never have guessed that without your help and those diagnostic lights.

Thanks,

Rich

2 Posts

May 21st, 2012 13:00

i get a steady amber light on the motherboard but that is all

2 Posts

May 21st, 2012 13:00

i have a dell dimension e521 but it does not boot , the lights do not show up at all and the fans are also not working can someone help with this please.

No Events found!