Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 26th, 2008 16:00

Does Vista gorge on hard drive space when it's bored?

I am confused by what I am seeing, my hard drive space is disappearing at an alarming rate.  I just got this computer about a week ago, XPS 630i with 2x250 GB in raid 0.  The hard drive light is constantly churning away so I decided to see how much space I have on the system; when I was done installing all programs I had used about 50 gigs.  At first I thought it was indexing, but its been a week now and indexing shouldn't eat 47 gb, should it? Now everytime I check that amount goes up by a few gb.  Now I am up to 97gb used and I cannot figure out why, thats an extra 47gb of space that just went poof without me using it.  I have never ever had a computer do this and am wondering if this is normal.  Does it have something to do with Vista or the raid 0 settup?

MJ 

2.3K Posts

Click on Start

Go to Computer

Right Click "C" drive

Click Properties

Clik Disk Cleanup

Click ALL Users

When finished scanning, check mark all radio buttons

Now, Click the second tab (Advanced)

In that tab click to delete your restore points (This will delete all but latest restore point)

Click OK....... You will immediately see that you got a lot of your HDD Capacity back.

Good Luck.

Peace

50 Posts

Wow, didn't know that the restores take up so much space in Vista.  Good to know though.  Thanks folks, that works well.

MJ 

705 Posts

it's storing shadow copies / versions that you can go back to via restore.

go to properites on your hdd - previous versions to see what I mean.

go to properties on your hdd - general - disk cleanup - files from all users - more opttions - system restore and shadow copies - clean up -delete.

note your reclaimed space.

go to properites on your hdd - previous versions - only 1 version should be left ...

mgbk was quicker...

Message Edited by packerFan07 on 04-26-2008 12:32 PM

347 Posts

April 26th, 2008 22:00

Wow. That cleaned up over 70Gb for me. thanks MoneyguyBK.

2.3K Posts

April 26th, 2008 23:00

Glad it worked..... and you could not be more welcome.... we all live and learn.

PS.... Thanx to jk.marek for the V S Point :)

Peace

Just be sure to do it with Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Message Edited by MoneyGuyBK on 04-26-2008 05:49 PM
No Events found!