Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2012 18:00

Dual Monitors Setup

Hello Community,

After setting up two Dell 24" Ultrasharp monitors (one old and one new), it appears that the old monitor is automatically chosen by Windows 7 Ultimate as the primary one, even though I prefer to use the new monitor as the primary one. I switched the positions of the two monitors (i.e., placed the old monitor on the left and right), but when I click identify, the old monitor is chosen as the primary one regardless. Am I doing something incorrectly? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thank you in advance. 

2.6K Posts

September 26th, 2012 21:00

Hello,

To change the primary monitor to secondary and secondary to primary, you may follow the steps below and check if you can change it.
1.    Open Display Settings by clicking Start, click Control Panel, click Appearance and Personalization, click Personalization, and then click Display Settings.
2.    To designate the primary display, on the Monitor tab, click the icon that corresponds to the monitor that you want to designate as the primary display, and then select the ‘This is my main monitor’ check box.
3.    Select the screen resolution and color quality for each monitor that you're using.

Refer to the links below to know more about switching the monitors and setting up multiple monitors.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Change-display-settings-on-multiple-monitors
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Set-up-multiple-monitors

Hope this helps. Let us know the results.

24 Posts

September 27th, 2012 07:00

Allan,

Many thanks for the easy-to-follow instructions on how to select one of my two monitors as the primary one.  Moreover, the links you provided to microsoft windows' support for multiple displays issues are very helpful.  Keep up the good work.

Regards,

BHN54 

4.4K Posts

May 18th, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity.For assistance,with same issue or a different issue,please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                          

No Events found!