Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 11th, 2011 08:00

Dual monitor support on integrated Intel GMA4500 DP/VGA

I have an Optiplex 780 that is new since October and has the integrated Intel 4500 graphics.  The back of the computer has both a VGA and DP port.  I thought this would be able to support two monitors, but right now only the one connected to the VGA port is being recognized.  It cannot detect the monitor plugged into the DP port.  I have the second monitor connected through a DP/DVI-D adapter.  Please help...

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

February 11th, 2011 08:00

Integrated video can support either port, but not both at the same time. You need a separate video card with double monitor support or two separate cards.

2 Posts

February 11th, 2011 09:00

Thanks Mary.  All I can say is that the Dell sales site needs to change their claim that the two ports can support dual monitor set up.  It's very misleading.

1 Message

April 19th, 2011 20:00

I've spent nearly 3 hours about this same issue on the phone today with Dell. I ordered 4 of the Optiplex 380's with the integrated Integrated Intel®  GMA 4500 video card which the "Help Me Choose" screen clearly states supports dual monitors. I also indicates the card provides both a VGA and DP or Display port.  I had ordered adapter so that I could use the DP port with my current VGA & DVI monitors.  Upon arrival I was unable to locate a DP port.  I called tech support and had to email him a picture to prove that the computer did not have a DVI port.  Was then told that the GMA 4500 would only support a single VGA!  When I asked what they were going to do about this misrepresentation they offered to sell me another video card.  I politely informed the technician that I did not get what I purchased but that I would be happy to install a compatible card if they would simply ship them to me.  I was then told to call customer care which I did and was then connected with my the saleman who assisted me with the purchase.  He either didn't have the ability to fix the problem or didn't want to expose his mistake & said that he would call tomorrow (today) with a solution.  I never received a call and had to go through the same conversations again today. FINALLY a customer care rep confirmed their misrepresentation and has agreed to ship me 4 video cards.  Praying this solution will work.  DELL - it should not take 5 phone calls to resolve your error.  Let's do better next time.

January 9th, 2013 04:00

I'm running Optiplex 780 USFF with dual monitors. My supplier sent me a splitter cable for the DVI port.

All normal dual monitor function is supported no problem.

No Events found!