Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 18th, 2010 13:00

E520 video card queries, re. connection to LCD TV

Hi all, apologies for my limited knowledge first off.

I am looking for help / advice on connecting my E520 to a 42inch LCD TV.  I still have the original Intel G965 Express Chipset Family video card installed, that the computer came with. 

My first question is does this vidoe card have TV Out options? 

If yes, then i must be doing something wrong in the connection process.  As my computer has no HDMI output, I have purchased a VGA to RCA converter and ran an RCA cable to my TV, but with no success.  IS there anything i need to be doing to 'set up' the TV?

If no, i assume i will need an alternative video card?  If so could anyone point me in the right direction for the type i would need (keen to keep price to minimum), and also advise on whether the new card could be fitted easily enough by myself?

Thanks in advance, any help welcome!

Andy

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 18th, 2010 16:00

Hi Andybt,

The best way to send a signal to an HDTV is using a VGA cable. Most newer TVs have a VGA port.

There's really no such thing as "TV out". The most popular ways to send a video signal to an HDTV are VGA or HDMI. S-video can also be used but it's not an HD signal.

4 Posts

November 19th, 2010 01:00

Hi thanks for your reply, i shall check when i get home this evening if my TV has a VGA Port.

You say in your post that S-Video can also be used, i have tried this (e.g. a RCA S-Video Cable), is it possible i am doing something wrong when connecting?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 19th, 2010 05:00

In your graphics adapter configuration window, you should find an option to enable S-video out. It's not on automatically. Again, however, this is a standard definition (480i) signal, not HD.

I know what you're thinking. This should be a lot simpler, but it seems the PC and TV manufacturers didn't really think about it until recently. Now, pretty much all PCs have HDMI out and that solves nearly every problem.

4 Posts

November 19th, 2010 06:00

many thanks for your help - i will have a go this evening and let you know how i get on

268 Posts

November 19th, 2010 12:00

Andybt,

I would suggest that you try purchasing a DVI to HDMI cable, rather than using S-Video. Here are some from an online vendor:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10231

I would try it as a second monitor, using a regular monitor as the primary.

If you try using your TV as the primary monitor, you won't be able to adjust the BIOS or boot Windows in SAFE mode because your TV cannot support legacy VGA modes.

Masi_GC

4 Posts

November 19th, 2010 13:00

Hi Masi_GC

Thanks for your reply, my computer doesnt have a DVI port, only VGA, i assume this can't be used? Is there such a thing as a VGA to DVI adaptor?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 19th, 2010 17:00

No, there's not.

Did you check your TV inputs?

1.7K Posts

November 19th, 2010 19:00

I would suggest you get a dedicated video card.  You will never be happy with the picture quality with anything else except an HD connection either with the DVI or HDMI output on the video card to an HDMI port on your TV.  HERE is a video card that is only $14.99 after MIR that has HDMI.   You can also get HDMI cables to connect the two for as little as $5.  I have this one HERE and it works fine.  

No Events found!