Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 21st, 2016 13:00

Equalizer on My Dell Desktop

When I bought my desktop about a year ago (Inspiron 3847 model), I could click on the Dell Audio app and get the Equalizer control with about 6 or so sliders to control the various tone ranges on my music sound.

Recently, I have lost ability to exercise that control.  Now, the word Equalizer does appear on my screen, but it is dead- does not respond.

How can I restore that control function?  Thanks i advance for help.

Al

17 Posts

August 21st, 2016 18:00

After I posted this, I searched this forum for "equalizer" and learned that others experienced this or  similar problems after switching to Windows 10.  Actually, my computer came with Windows 8.1, and a few months ago, I did indeed upgrade to W-10.  This  might well have occurred about the same time I lost the Equalizer function, so there's a big clue.

The question still remains, what makes this happen, and how can I restore the Equalizer? The solutions found by the others sound a bit beyond my tech skills, but maybe I can try. Hey, I'm 95 years old, and we didn't used to have computers.

Al

17 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 10:00

Here is more information. Originally, I had an older set of small Logitech stereo speakers with a small subwoofer, all of which plugged in via a USB connection (about $130 worth.) Three months ago (May of this year) they quit working, so I replaced them with a new pair of Bose stereo speakers (about 7 inches   tall - $100.) Apparently, at that time, Windows chose a Realtek driver for those speakers, and the computer has labeled the Bose speakers as Realtek speakers. As I check it today, Windows does a scan and tells me that this Realtak driver is the best up-to-date driver for my speakers; it also tells me everything is working properly.

Again, question: Could this change of speakers and driver have been the event that caused me to lose the equalizer function?

The system does give me a choice of a whole bunch of about 25 environment settings, such as – general, living room, concert hall, arena, etc., etc.  I would say my “sound of music” is “not bad,” but I want my multi-slider control back.

17 Posts

August 23rd, 2016 13:00

Some further research suggests to me that an excellent solution to my problem might be in downloading a free, external graphics equalizer that would simply operate over and above all of my computer sound (music) activities – dvd’s, internet radio, Spotify, YouTube, Media Player, etc.- Such as Pas Graphic Equalizer Studio, Equalizer APO, or Peace GUI. Would appreciate some opinion on this. Might be a good route, as I’m reluctant to tamper with the system if it might screw up my present “not bad” sound. Reviews of these externals seem to report sensational improvement.                                                                                                                                                                                                              

17 Posts

August 23rd, 2016 14:00

Lo and behold!

Earlier when I had clicked on Update of my speaker drivers, I was told that the last update gave me the best possible driver for my speakers.

Moments ago, still fiddling around, I went back to “Update Diver” in Dell Audio, clicked on it, and it downloaded a new driver.

I then went to Equalizer in Dell Audio and ! There it was !  RESTORED.

Problem Solved.

Al

47 Posts

January 26th, 2017 05:00

Just reinstall the sound driver from the dell website under your product, it will restore the audio driver and the application enhancer (waves maxx audio) back to a working state.

No Events found!