Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2013 09:00

Erratic Mouse Performance in all programs

Running windows 7, XPS 15, new Dell installed hard drive.

BT mouse is erratic in all programs- just stops in the middle of moving, can not use it at all for precision movements I need it for in Photoshop.  I've tried several Logitech mice then bought a new Microsoft mouse yesterday but still having the same problems.  It will once in awhile work normally.  

I hate the touchpad on this computer so I don't use it much.  I am forced to now in order to get anything done which is making me notice that it will jump down to the bottom of the page without me touching it, it won't select multiple items when I click-shift, scrolling is erratic and I often can't get it to scroll at all.  I am not sure if this is user error though.  

I have nothing else plugged into the other USB's. I've tried placing the dongle in all of the ports, and I've checked to be sure the BT drivers are updated, I've moved phones and other BT devices at least 4 feet away from the computer.  I do not have a wired mouse to test whether or not this is BT related.  

Any suggestions? 

8 Posts

July 25th, 2013 17:00

Updated- the touchpad is definitely not working properly.  Scrolling is not possible.  As I scroll up or down it will go part of the way then back to the top or bottom, wherever I came from.  I am being very careful not to touch it with my palm.

1.5K Posts

July 25th, 2013 18:00

Hi AlliGaulin,

You may try to arrange an external USB mouse. Please check if the issue persists with USB mouse as well. You may uninstall and reinstall the touchpad drivers. Please follow the steps below:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + R on ‘Desktop’ screen
  • Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ in run box and press ‘Enter’
  • Click > sign next to ‘Mice and Other pointing Device’
  • Right click the entry listed under  ‘Mice and Other pointing Device’ and click ‘Uninstall’
  • Click ‘Yes’ on the security warning

Remove the ‘Touchpad’ application from ‘Uninstall a Program’. To remove the application:

• Press ‘Windows’ key + X
  • Click ‘Control Panel’
  • Click ‘Uninstall a Program’
  • Right click on ‘Touchpad’ and click ‘Uninstall’
  • Restart the computer

To re-install the drivers, please refer the link: http://dell.to/14c5Gp4. Click ‘Download File’ and follow on screen instructions.

Please paste a screenshot of ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Network Adapters’ expended.

Keep me posted with the findings. I will be glad to assist further.

8 Posts

July 26th, 2013 05:00

Thank you.  I will work on this now and let you know how it goes.

1.5K Posts

July 26th, 2013 13:00

Hi AlliGaulin,

Thank you for the response. I hope reinstalling the touchpad driver will resolve the issue.

Keep me posted with the results. I will be glad to assist further.

8 Posts

July 26th, 2013 15:00

As of right now it seems as though this may have done the trick.  I will let you know if it starts acting up again, but so far, it is responding as it should.  THANK YOU!!!  

1.5K Posts

July 26th, 2013 18:00

Hi AlliGaulin,

Thank you for the response. I am glad that the issue is been resolved. I hope the issue won’t reoccur.

Keep me updated. I will be glad to assist further.

No Events found!