Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2017 13:00

Error 2000-0314

I suspect that someone did something to my computer while I was away and the fan is running now all the time on max speed. I get from the diagnostics the following

error code: 2000-0314

validation: 110855

Thermal: The (CPU internal thermal sensor) reading (100 C) exceeds the thermal limit. 

This was immediately when I have started the computer, therefore I think that the temperature reading is not OK and that the person who modified something on my computer could change a kind of temperature table. 

Please help. What can I do? Thank you very much!

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 25th, 2017 23:00

Thank you for your message.

Update bios and make sure that the air vents are free of any dust.

5 Posts

July 25th, 2017 23:00

Thank you very much for your answer!

The computer is new, bought not long ago from Dell. I am sure that someone did something to my computer. Can you please explain the ways how someone can cause wrong temperature readings from the CPU? By installing a wrong bios? Changing the bios? Can they still do this if I set a system password?

I would like to find an evidence and go to the police. Is it possible to find an evidence of that someone has manipulated my computer? Is there somewhere a system log on bios level?

Thank you very much for you help.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

July 26th, 2017 20:00

It is less likely that someone has hacked your computer.

Are you using any 3rd party software to check the thermal status?

Do you get any pop-up message about the thermal readings?

A bios update should fix the issue. If it does not, it could be a hardware issue & may require a system, CPU fan replacement.

Please private message the details requested, we can look into this & assist you further as per the warranty.

5 Posts

July 27th, 2017 00:00

Thank you for your answer!

I am 100% sure that someone did change something and that something caused the wrong temperature reading from the CPU. This happened in combination with other events. I suspect the installation of a wrong BIOS or changing something in the bios or similar. I advice you to look into this security issue of your computers! Apparently someone can very easily breach the security of any DELL computer. This may also cost you extra money all the time because people most probably reporting you issues which are not because the computer is not working well but because it was sabotaged.

My problem is solved for the moment but if I do not catch the one who did it and if you do not let me know all possible ways of how someone can breach the security of my computer so easily then it could happen again and again.

Please send me a private message with the following information (if you request then I can send you my service tag with active warranty in the private message):

- Let me know all possible ways how someone can breach the security of my computer and how to prevent it. This is obviously during the process from starting up the computer till the Windows 10 security is up and running.

- Can someone access my computer remotely and change things? There is a support assist software from Dell on my computer. Can this be used to remotely access my computer. If yes then maybe it is better to remove it!?

Thank you for your help! I can not use any other form of help included in my warranty because Dell only provides me here in Belgium a strange twitter messaging system and a phone number in England on which I do not want to spend a lot of money... This could also be improved!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 27th, 2017 12:00

Exactly what PC model is this and what version of Windows?

Is this in a home or business setting?

Sure sounds like either the CPU fan isn't working or the heat sink on the CPU got dislodged. Did somebody move the PC while you were away?

Why don't you set a System password that will prevent anyone else from entering BIOS setup, assuming this is in a home setting. Otherwise, contact your IT dept...

5 Posts

July 27th, 2017 13:00

Thank you for your answer Ron. I do not know exactly how they did it but someone entered the room and did something to the PC. I suspect that they could alter the temperature table of the CPU and because of this the fan was signaled to work on max power. The CPU was signalling 100 'C when it was maybe 30 'C. I am 100% sure that this was a deliberate and thus criminal action (it is a restricted area). Changing the temperature table of the CPU seems maybe a small thing (if you can revert it easily) but entering the restricted area is a criminal action/burglary.

I hope that Dell will send me a private message with an answer to my questions. Setting a BIOS password is ok but maybe it is not enough and someone can still do the same thing. Dell must know exactly how this can be done and then also how this can be prevented that bad people can not enjoy destroying other peoples work. I hope that I will find them and bring them to justice! Maybe you know the saying it starts with a small thing and then next they do something worse. If someone starts doing bad things then it will just escalate so it is better to be prepared.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 27th, 2017 15:00

You still didn't tell us the PC model or version of Windows.

I seriously doubt there are any settings in BIOS, regardless of the model, to change CPU temp settings.  Only somebody who could hack into the actual code embedded on the BIOS chip would be able to do that, and then they'd have to be able to store their new code on the chip.

But why bother? If they know enough to hack BIOS, they can probably hack into the entire system and steal all your data on the hard drive without leaving any signs they've ever been on your PC...?

If the CPU chip is overheating, BIOS should automatically run the fan at fastest speed. So either the temp sensor failed or -more likely- the thermal paste on the heat sink dried out (relatively common happening) and the heat sink separated from the CPU chip which would cause it to overheat.

And if what your saying is true, your "restricted area" isn't very restricted....

5 Posts

July 28th, 2017 00:00

Thank you that you try to help Ron! I do not want to discuss about this specific issue here further but I prefer to do it privately with Dell. Dell must know all possible ways to change the temperature table, and that is what caused the problem on my computer. It also does not have any sense to meditate about why people are doing these things because it is very difficult to understand the mind of brain damaged people who do such things.

No Events found!