Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2007 06:00

External Firewire HD Problems

Hi all I am a professional video editor and was about to commence a major job when I ran into trouble. I purchased and installed a new WD 500GB My Book Premium that runs on Firewire400. I wired it up to my system (DELL XPS 710) through the single firewire port on the motherboard (rear). I then wired my DVCAM video capture deck through the front panel firewire port and attempted a video capture directly to the external drive which should work from my past experience. I immediately began dropping frames like crazy until my PC froze up and the HD required a format... What am I doing wrong? I can capture to my internal drives from the deck wired in the same way and can also copy large files over to the drive... Any help would be so greatly appreciated!

1.3K Posts

May 14th, 2007 07:00

fixier

I believe you answered your own question. It seems that the XPS 710 is unable to negotiate the two firewire connections and the OS at the same time.

Since the camera works flawlessly as does the WD drive when stand alone, there is a problem when both are accessed real time. This suggests to me that both the front and rear firewire connections are the same connection at the motherboard.

I would try installing an auxillary firewire adapter card and using that for the drive and the front connection for the camera.

There may be better solutions out there, but that is how I would approach the problem.
No Events found!