Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 12th, 2017 09:00

External Optical Drive??

Good morning ... Just bought a brand new Dell XPS 7760 27" All-In-One. These machines come with NO built-in optical drive. So, I purchased the Dell DW316 External Optical Drive to use for playback of CDs and DVDs as well as to install devices (such as a printer) by way of the Installation Discs. Two weeks into this new desktop PC and I still cannot get a DVD to play. I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail. I did manage to get an audio CD to play but have had ZERO luck getting a DVD to play. Am extremely frustrated with this and ready to send this whole thing back to Dell. I was under the impression that the Dell DW316 External Optical Drive was a "plug and play" device and thought I would be able to play CDs and DVDs via this device. Apparently I was wrong.

That brings me to this question ... does ANYONE know how to get this Dell External Optical Drive (DW316) to work?? I did get it to play a CD (audio disc) but NOT DVDs. I am losing my patience with this machine.

Many thanks for your help in advance. ... CWFan2

PLEASE NOTE: I cross-posted this with the "VIDEO" Section because of not being sure if it should be posted in Video or in Hardware. Or, both.

398 Posts

March 12th, 2017 10:00

Install VLC Media Player for Windows. You'll be able to play DVDs. VLC is free.

And take Mary G's advice to heart. Install the latest drivers from the manufacturer's site. If you install the drivers from the physical media, chances are the device will ask you to install the latest drivers anyway.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

March 12th, 2017 20:00

I'm surprised you didn't know that Video DVDs cannot be played on windows 10 anymore without  a separate video player program.

Why? Many IT pros can't enumerate the differences between various Windows versions and editions, never mind regular users.

You really don't need an external cd/dvd drive.

They can be useful. To illustrate, my mom prefers the MacBook Pro I sold her to her newer Air simply because she can play DVDs on it. Not everything is available via streaming video, especially in other countries.

What is ... VLC Media Player ... and where do I find it to install it. Also, what about Cyberlink's PowerDVD 16 that others have suggested. Would that work also.

VLC is a free and open source project and the binaries are free to download, but its playback quality is not as good as PowerDVD. (I have both.)

398 Posts

March 12th, 2017 21:00

You can find VLC Player here:

www.videolan.org/.../index.html

You have to download and run the program from that link.

I haven't used PowerDVD in a number of years. It worked fine when I did use it.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 12th, 2017 10:00

You really don't need an external cd/dvd drive. Installation disks are a thing of the past now. Install disks are always outdated by the time they are made. Installation of printers and other plug and play hardware is handled by windows and the latest drivers--especially for printers-- are online at the support sites and is always up to date. Note--You do need to get the latest drivers for printers at their support sites

I'm surprised you didn't know that Video DVDs cannot be played on windows 10 anymore without  a separate video player program. That has been well publicized since win 8. Most video is streaming online now. Even playing music--which still is available in win 10 on cd/dvd--is easier with the Groove music app which plays your music files and also online music and purchased music.  

Forgot to mention that there is also a Movies and TV app that will play downloaded purchased movies and tv but not movie dvds which need a separate player.

10 Posts

March 12th, 2017 15:00

Mary ... thanks for your help. I admit, I was NOT aware that Windows 10 did not play DVDs. Basically, I dislike Windows 10 and was trying to stay as far away from it as I could. Give me Windows 7 ANY DAY. Or, XP for that matter. Why is it that all my DVDs will play on Windows Media Player on my other pcs  but not on a Windows 10 pc? (Windows Media Player is factory installed on this machine). I did get audio CDs to play on Windows Media Player on this Dell XPS 7760 27" All-In-One via the Dell DW316 External Optical Drive. BUT, DVDs will NOT play on Windows Media Player here. Why? I downloaded a player called Video Jack but, nothing plays on that either. I tried File Explorer/right click/play and nothing. Someone suggested I download Cyberlink's Power DVD 16 while someone else said "no don't use that". Someone else said install VLC Media Player (which, I've never heard of and don't really know what it is). Should I do that? And if so, where do I find VLC Media Player to install??

Thank you for your help. This is becoming extremely frustrating for me. I've never had this much trouble with a new PC before and am beginning to regret I spent $2000.00 of a new desktop PC that I can't even play a DVD on.

P.S. I don't purchase movies/TV shows/music/etc online because I have TONS of CDs and DVDs still to listen to and watch. The last thing I need to do is purchase more online. This media player is to be able to play my own CDs and DVDs.

Thanks kindly ... CWFan2

10 Posts

March 12th, 2017 15:00

mpo ... Thanks much for your help. What is ... VLC Media Player ... and where do I find it to install it. Also, what about Cyberlink's PowerDVD 16 that others have suggested. Would that work also.

I tested the optical drive itself and it works. I ran tests on it on Dell's support pages. It plays audio CDs but not DVDs. Getting very frustrated here. Never, in 16 or 18 years of buying new pcs have I had this much trouble.

Thanks kindly. I appreciate any and all help. ... CWFan2

10 Posts

March 13th, 2017 15:00

I did mpo. I downloaded and installed VLC Media Player AND ... as of this morning, last time I had time to try it, it was indeed playing DVDs for me.

Many thanks for your help. I was getting very frustrated and I very much appreciate your time and your help.

Kind regards ... CWFan2

No Events found!