Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2017 17:00

External drive will not power down

DELL 3252 (Windows 10) will not power down Western Digital USB external drive at shut down.  Allow the computer to turn of device has been checked for all hubs.

9.4K Posts

August 1st, 2017 06:00

Hi GmaLab,

Thanks for posting.

Have you tried turning off the power at the wall? 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 1st, 2017 08:00

Power Share keeps the USB power on. When this option is set to Disabled, the USB PowerShare feature will be turned off and devices attached to the USB ports will not be on when the system is in a low power state or off.

Power States

S1 (powered on) - USB power is on by default with AC.
S3 (Standby) - Battery or AC.
S4/S5 (Hibernate/Powered down) - AC only.

3 Posts

August 1st, 2017 20:00

Thank you Speed Step for your response.  The Inspiron 3252 I have is a referred to as a small tower.  It appears to me to be based of the internal electronics of one of the Inspiron Laptops.  It does not use a battery for power, strictly 110 AC which your suggestion implies.  I can not find a On Board Devices / USB PowerShare option as part of the Settings options for the machine I have.  Thank you, however,  for your suggestion and interest .  GmaLab

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2017 11:00

Reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup.

Look for a PowerShare option in BIOS. Note: Not all PC models have this option.

Change that option to Disabled or uncheck the box, assuming you have the PowerShare option. Be sure to save the change when you exit setup. Do NOT make any other changes in BIOS setup.

See if that solves the problem...

3 Posts

August 4th, 2017 16:00

Thank you for your suggestion.  The BIOS on my machine is DELL Inc. 2.11.1, 6/21/2017.  Unfortunately I find no Power Share option  The Power option available relates to sleep mode, etc of the computer.  USB options will enable or disable front and rear ports.  Thanks again for the suggestion.  GmaLab

No Events found!