Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2016 18:00

Failure to boot

I upgraded my OPTIMAX 390 (32bit Win 7) to Win 10 32 bit when it came out.  after a month or so of working normally it stopped booting at the Welcome Screen - Was forced to accept the Reinstall while keeping Documents etc option - Worked OK.  Last week again failed to Boot.  Stopped after the "F12 screen to a Black Screen with flashing curser in top left of screen.  Used the F12 to conduct full Diagnostics - No Problems.  Still No boot. 

What is the problem? Where to from here?  I have full backups of Docs etc so I don't mind a reset of some kind.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 7th, 2016 14:00

There are no soft fixes for physically bad hard drive.

You will need to download windows 10 TH2 ISO and reinstall from scratch on another NEW hard drive.

You then can attempt to recover data from the damaged drive using a USB to IDE/SATA wire/with power supply.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY-A12940-Drive-Adapter-Converter/dp/B001OORMVQ

February 8th, 2016 01:00

The Drive has tested as OK -  I added an old SATA Drive and was able to boot to Win XP and read both disks without problem.   I notice that the Optimex 390 is not on the list of Win 10 Machines, so it make be a compatibility problem.  Any answers appreciated.  I would like to go to Win 10 64 bit

No Events found!