Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 8th, 2012 18:00

GX745 USFF and 1366x768 Resolution?

Hello,

I just recently purchased a Dell IN1910N monitor for my Dell GX745 (USFF) desktop to replace the a defective HP LCD. The new monitor connects via analog VGA rather than DVI like the old one did. It is connected via a DVI > VGA adapter cable.

No matter what I do, I cannot get the GX745 to output 1366x768 resolution. The previous monitor was 1440x900, which the computer had no issue outputting.

The GX745 has the Intel Q965/963 chip set - I have tried the original drivers from Dell, updated them via windows update to the latest version, and installed the drivers for the monitor from Dell. However, no matter what I do the available screen resolutions do not change.

Right now I am using 1280x768 stretched, which is almost unnoticeable, but it would be nice to use the native resolution. :emotion-1: Is this not possible?

14.4K Posts

see some info HERE

I've already tried that with no change

5 Practitioner

• 

353 Posts

May 9th, 2012 03:00

Hi there,

I've researched why your system is not allowing you to set the native resolution for your monitor, however I must admit I'm not having much luck and you've done pretty much all the steps that would normally resolve the problem.

The only steps I can think of would be to update the BIOS and update the chipset drivers - failing that, perhaps a third-party tool to force Windows to use the native resolution may work, however that is not without its risks.

The latest BIOS for your system can be downloaded here: www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

The latest chipset drivers can be downloaded here: www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

If you need any help installing these, please let us know. The main thing to remember, however, is to ensure that you do not switch the system off or remove any power from the system while the BIOS update is running as this can damage your system.

Regarding trying to force Windows to use the native resolution, EnTech's PowerStrip can do this, however it's not a Dell product so we can't really advice on the usage of this. You can find this tool here: www.entechtaiwan.com/.../ps.shtm

I hope that helps, please let us know if the BIOS or chipset resolves your issue.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

May 9th, 2012 07:00

Sounds like 1366x768 resolution  is not available as Analog VGA.

For older Intel graphics drivers, select the Display Settings, click the Screen Resolution drop down arrow, and select desired resolution.

Intel® graphics drivers support a wide range of resolutions but the maximum amount will depend on many factors including but not limited to:

• The chipset or processor in your system
  • Which display port you are using
  • How your computer manufacturer has configured your computer
  • Your display or monitor capabilities
  • If your display or monitor is plug and play
  • If your display or monitor is in Single mode, Clone, or Extended Desktop mode.

Check with your display manufacturers to find out the maximum resolution for the computer and display.

The resolutions that are selectable on your computer depend on many factors, such as the resolutions supported by your display or monitor, and your computer's configuration. Try the Display Mode/Resolution Wizard to identify and resolve your issue.

If your monitor does not have an installed Driver it may not display all available resolutions.

If your system may be in Clone or Duplicate mode. In Clone mode, the resolution is set to the largest resolution that is supported by all displays.

To check if you are in Clone mode and to switch to Single Display mode: press the Ctrl+Alt+F12 keys to open the Intel graphics driver's control panel.

For newer Intel graphics drivers, click Multiple Displays > Operating Mode, select desired display mode, and click OK.

Windows can be configured to magnify or reduce text or other screen items. See the information on, How do I make the text bigger or smaller?, and then try to undo the steps.

If your computer is set to a lower display resolution, it stretches your desktop on a large display. Try selecting a larger resolution. See How do I change my display resolution?

If you cannot select a larger resolution and you are certain that your display supports a larger resolution, the system could be in Clone or Duplicate mode. Try setting to single display mode. For steps, see I cannot select a resolution larger than 800x600 or 1024x768. How to fix this?

No Events found!