Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 5th, 2006 22:00

Gen 3 XPS Compatible with 7950 GX2?

I know the Gen 3 motherboard is an Intel-based motherboard built around the 925X chipset.  Abit has updated the BIOS of one of their systems using the same chipset.  What are the chances that Dell will verify the compatibility of the Gen 3 XPS Desktop with the new 7950 GX2 cards?

2.1K Posts

June 6th, 2006 03:00

Zero.

Dell wants to sell XPS 700's, not cripple their engineering investment with a BIOS update for a nearly 2 year old system. 

887 Posts

June 6th, 2006 03:00

VCraig is correct.  The 7950gx2 requires an sli mobo even in single card config.

18 Posts

June 6th, 2006 14:00

I've been looking for info on this as well.  I received conflictiing reports.  Guru3d is the only place that says it requires a SLI compatible mobo.  Everywhere else simply states that it just requires  a pci-e slot.

Is there anything concrete?

18 Posts

June 6th, 2006 15:00

The question is...will dell get off their behinds and go update our bios?

I got my gen3 15 months ago...I really feel I should still be supported by these guys.

887 Posts

June 6th, 2006 15:00

seems there's new info that indicates it can be run on a non-sli mobo with proper bios upgrade and new nvidia drivers...there is hope here....

2.1K Posts

June 6th, 2006 19:00

Even then, a BIOS update would be useless with graphics cards like the 7950 GX2 requiring +12v rail amp loads exceeding the Gen 3 460w power supply +12v rail capabilities....and adding insult to injury - a power supply of proprietary design that can't be upgraded to something beefier.

June 6th, 2006 20:00

The power supply of the Gen 3 XPS is rated at 460W (min spec required for single 7950GX2 is 400W with a 12V supplying 27A).

I know my 7800 GTX has been running fine with its 6 pin PCI-X power connector.  Not sure what the current draw is for the 7800 GTX, but don't think the 7950GX2 will be much higher....?

Hopefully a Dell representative will pipe in ..... (hoping and waiting....)

373 Posts

June 6th, 2006 21:00

the 7950 GX2 is designed to work in a singlr PCIe 16x mobo, but needs a bios revision to do so. Dell abandons bios updates with the intro of new systems, otherwise they wouldn't be selling a lot of new machines

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 8th, 2006 14:00

Trebor Da Man, Debeucci,

VCraig and jdwssll are correct. Also, the only time we do a bios update is to correct a specific issue. Not to make the motherboard upgradeable.

18 Posts

June 8th, 2006 15:00

Glad to know that we are pidgeon holed with un-upgradable gear.  Especially since I only had that xps for one year.

Thanks a lot, Dell.  You go proprietary on stuff and just let it die.  That really makes me want to buy more Dells in the future.  Guess I learned my lesson.

June 8th, 2006 19:00

Ooooow,

Dell-ChrisM:

That's a terrible answer.

This is a specific issue.  The BIOS needs to recognize the communication bridge between the two cards (errrr... one card, with two interacting GPUs).

I guess I don't understand the answer.  Do you speak for DELL or is this a reasonable guess on your part? (sorry, I'm just not sure if this is the final Dell-approved answer) This doesn't make the motherboard "upgradeable."  It does make it more functional.

I also guess that Dell will be selling 7950GX2 cards in the near future.  Wouldn't it behoove a company to support a system (which is a little over a year old, true), in order to gain the loyalty of current Dell owners, and make some money as well?!??!?

I would buy an XPS 700 today if it came with Conroe extreme (or AM2 AMD FX chip) and it was reasonably priced.  I'm sure this won't be the case until late in 2006.  I could easily move my one 7950GX2 card from my Gen 3 and place it into a new Dell system after all of the SLI issues have been solved for the consumer upgrade.

If your answer is Dell's official stand, I guess I would have to factor that attitude into further supporting Dell with my hard-earned dollars.  Other motherboard manufacturers have provided the additional functionality.  It could not have been overly difficult, or I'm sure many of the motherboard manufacturers wouldn't have expended the effort.  And I'm sure all manufacturers would rather sell new equipment (so that's a terrrible reason).

So.... if the power requirements of the 7950GX2 are met by the Gen 3 (and from what I've read, they appear to be) and if only a minor BIOS upgrade is necessary (which also appears to be the case), why wouldn't Dell support us?

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

June 8th, 2006 21:00

Trebor Da Man,

Let me just say that once a PC model goes "end of life" (as in marketing, not warranty life), it is very difficult to get engineering to create a bios update to address a non-failure issue.

June 8th, 2006 22:00

Well.... It's not the answer I was hoping for.... but...

I do appreciate getting a frank answer.

Thanks.

18 Posts

June 8th, 2006 22:00

This reminds me of when I first complained that my Dell Gen3 was ridiculously loud and did not downstep the fan when idle.

Dell Support admitted that it was a problem but told me not to do anything about it because it would be fixed.

Guess what...never fixed.

No support for your customers huh? Once you make the sale...buyer beware.

June 8th, 2006 23:00

Well....

I'm ordering the 7950GX2 anyhow....(that Buy.com price is too good to pass on)  I'll take my chances and see if it works in the Gen 3 XPS.

If not, I'll put it in my wife's system (an ASUS SLI A8N-Premium with a 4000+).  It'll be faster than the current SLI 6800 Ultra's.  (then her system will be faster than mine again.... dang)

I'll let you all know if it works in the Gen 3 XPS.

No Events found!