jayfie
2 Bronze

HORRIBLE Optiplex 9020 Power Supply

Why why why?!?  Why does the Optiplex 9020, a BUSINESS class computer, use a Dell Proprietary power supply?  And worse yet, Dell does not sell any replacement power supply as far as I have found!

So, the power supply goes out ... Dell says too bad, I guess!

Now, the PinOut itself is easy ... but converting a standard power supply is not possible, because one of the wires in the Pinout is also proprietary, not found on a standard ATX power supply.

Here is the Pinout for th 8-pin power plug (instead of the standard 20/24 pin plug)

Black = Ground
White = 12 volt
Green = Power On (just like on ATX)
Gray = Power Good (just like on ATX)
PURPLE = 12 Volt Standby (NOT present on ATX)  On ATX, the purple is 5 volts, NOT 12 volts.

This is very disappointing!  How are we supposed to upgrade or replace the power supply in these 9020 towers???

Note that there is NO 5 volt wire.  The 5 volt for the drives comes from the motherboard.  The power to the hard drives and CD drive is plugged directly into the motherboard, NOT the power supply.

CRAZY!!!!!

0 Kudos
12 Replies
uanb88
2 Bronze

RE: HORRIBLE Optiplex 9020 Power Supply

Discovered this same [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] today in our 9020s we bought for upgrades for our 7010 from last year... What the [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU] is wrong with sticking to industry standards for testing, replacements, and compatibility for upgrades etc. Same reason we dropped Lenovo line 4 years back.

Looks like Dell is back to their old antics and won't be on our purchasing list anymore. [ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU], can't even change pin out or get an adapter looking at the schematics. Will make sure our premier rep hears about this...

0 Kudos
rdunnill
6 Indium

So, the power supply goes out ... Dell says too bad, I guess!
I bought one for my 9010 on eBay. Red Planet Trading and others are great sources for Dell proprietary parts.
0 Kudos
jayfie
2 Bronze

The 9010 MiniTower uses a standard 24 pin power supply.  Perhaps you are talking about the small form cases that use a different power supply ... so that won't help with the 9020 mini towers that use the proprietary power supply.

I did see that there was one seller on ebay selling a 9020 power supply ... and there is only 1 single power supply listed.  So, that shows that people aren't getting these available to sell ... and that doesn't really help at all.

0 Kudos
uanb88
2 Bronze

Yes because businesses, government, and institutions purchase hardware on ebay...

0 Kudos
speedstep
8 Krypton

It would appear that there is a solution.

Dell OptiPlex 3020 PSU Main Power 24-Pin to 8-Pin Adapter Cable 30cm

Suitable for Dell OptiPlex 3020 / 7020 / 9020 / T1700

3   Black = Ground                   (Same as 24 pin)
2  White = 12 volt                     (Same as 24 pin)
1 Green = Power On                (Same as 24 pin)
1  Gray = Power Good              (Same as 24 pin)
1  PURPLE = 12 Volt Standby  (Taken from Molex)

http://www.moddiy.com/products/Dell-OptiPlex-3020-PSU-Main-Power-24%252dPin-to-8%252dPin-Adapter-Cab...

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

0 Kudos
cjhilinski
2 Bronze

I did this over the weekend and it went without a hitch. The cable from ModDIY looks a little different now; you don't need the extra molex to get the second 12 volts...it all comes from the 24 pin connector. The replacement 750 watt power supply I got was a little longer than the oem part and I simply could not fit it in without removing the sliding lock thing inside the case. Once that was out, the psu slid in without an issue and the power supply mounting screws lined up exactly with the original holes. 

I installed an R9 380 video card in the box (which is what generated the need for the new power supply and the ModDIY cable). I'll have to run some video tests to see how it performs but my first test was running F1 2014 with everything turned on and it got an average of 108 FPS.

0 Kudos
Prof_Aut
2 Bronze

Which PSU do you use? Cant find anyone with 12V VSB?!

0 Kudos
cjhilinski
2 Bronze

It's a Sentey 725.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=sr_1_1;qid=1447893722&sr=8-1&keywords=sentey+725

0 Kudos
ieee488
7 Gold

fixing the link http://www.amazon.com/Xpp725-hs-Computer-48ampers-Crossfire-Warranty/dp/B00SN6VN7W/

Will this power supply work in a 9020 SFF ?

0 Kudos