Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 23rd, 2010 06:00

Hi I have a Studio xps 8100 and a Ati 5770 and would like to upgrade psu first and then either get another 5770 or a new 5850/5870 or even a Nivida 460/470!

I would like to upgrade my desktops psu which is the junk 350w and I seen somewhere that Antec was the brand Dell uses and I seen a Antec 80 plus 650w atx model# ea650 would this be compatible or what other psu do yall recommend. I do have the i7 860 and my pc is only a few months old and I know that there is only 1 pci-e 16 but isnt there a way I can remove my wireless pci card and use this slot for another 5770 and still get crossfire performance with the 8 lane pci? I would be forever greatful to anyone who can give me info/help with this upgrade and should I just get a faster card and psu and forget crossfire? Anyone out there who has already done this type of upgrade with sucess?THANKS for any replies!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 09:00

Standard ATX power supplies have many extra power connections (cables) that are not used and must be stuffed inside the case.  My recommendation is a "modular" type power supply as you only connect the needed peripheral power cables and thus do not have the issue with the large amount of unused cables.

I would go with a minimum of a 550 watt.  HERE is an example of a good grade modular power supply

5 Posts

August 7th, 2011 13:00

Hey, did you replace your psu? what kinda psu did you buy, and did it fit perfectly or did you have problems?

got xps 8100 my self, and want another psu :P

57 Posts

August 7th, 2011 16:00

Yes I did I also upgraded Gpu to a Nvidia GTX470  and the Psu I got was a Thermaltake 600w ATX. Both fit fine the only thing I had to do was move HDD up one mounting location because Gpu GTX470 has power plugs on the side instead of back. Performance is awesome with slight OC 5300 points with 3d mark 11 same as stock 570. Anyway yes just about any ATX psu will work and since most have large fan which is good but you have to flip it where it's facing in to case and it helps cool eveything alot. Good Luck!

No Events found!