Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 17th, 2017 10:00

How old is my Dell Optiplex 5050 ???

Mcoderators - my apologies if this is not in the correct forum, please move if required...

I purchased my Optiplex 5050 in May 2017.  It came in a sealed box and I had to do the usual set up.  My 3 year warranty runs until 22/05/2020.

A few days ago looking under saved logs in Event Viewer I was surprised to find ~400 combined entries under Application, Security and System.  These are all dated 13/02/2016 - 13 months before I got the Optiplex.  These presumably are the entries I see saved in Logs on my C drive.

Two things confuse me here - and I  ‘hope’  there is a logical explanation.

(a)  These logs relate to a date 15 months before I purchased the computer, and
(b)  I’ve re-installed the OS on more than one occassion since I purchased the Optiplex so how can I have logs dating back to last year...?

I’m intrigued - and a bit concerned at this...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 17th, 2017 10:00

Drives imaged at a specific time will have files dated to when they were created..  This is not the date that your machine was made. Either way its entirely irrelevant.  Your warranty is based on the ship date.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 17th, 2017 13:00

If the OS disc you used to do the installation is for WIndows 7, it's very conceivable there were that many updates after you did he installation.  

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

September 22nd, 2017 14:00

Thanks for both your replies.

Speedstep - that explains why the files would have been dated well before the computer was actually built.  However I'm still intrigued as to how these files remain in the Event Viewer as I have had to re-install Windows 10 a couple of times and I would have expected them to have been deleted then.

ejn63 - This computer had Windows 10 installed by DELL when I bought it so there was no Windows 7 involved.

Thanks to you both for your input.

No Events found!