Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 25th, 2009 08:00

How to remove an Intel raid system from an XPS410?

I need to remove a non-functioning raid 0 system I had tried to set up using two 1TB drives on my XPS410. I want to revert back to a system running individual drives.

I will offload the files to an external drive so they are not lost but what is the procedure to shut down the raid? Can I simply remove the two drives, reboot the computer so that it sees they are now gone and then install each drive one at a time to reformat normally?

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

131 Posts

March 28th, 2009 13:00

I solved this issue myself. Here is what I did.

First, I copied my files to an external HD.

Then, I turned off the computer and disconnected the SATA cable to the second drive of my raid.

I rebooted and pressed F2 to get to the setup. There was a new screen waiting for me that asked if I wanted to delete the raid and I said  "Why, Yes I did, thank you".

I rebooted a second time and Windows came back as normal. I went to Disk Manager and did a new full format on the remaining drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 25th, 2009 10:00

scooter250

Disconnect the second SATA hard drive and use the hard drive connected to SATA connector 0 on the motherboard, carry out a clean reinstall of windows and reload all the drivers and applications.

After windows is installed and working to your satisfaction, reconnect the second hard drive, format and partition the drive, using disk management.

Bev.

131 Posts

March 25th, 2009 10:00

Hey Bev:

I should have been more clear. I have a 250gig C drive that is non-raid all by itself so no need for a Windows Install... I hope!

How should I proceed on that basis?

No Events found!