Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 11th, 2015 21:00

I want to roll back to Windows 8.1

Probably this is counter intuitive, but I want to roll back to Windows 8.1.  The reason? Windows 10 is not compatible with all the drivers in my current setup.  Particularly, Roland UA-101 audio interface. In fact, they say that Roland will not support some of their devices in Windows 10.  That is earth unfriendly and a waste of money.

My issue.  I made a mistake and I have to re-install the whole thing as a windows 8.0 and then 8.1.  The problem is in that I have a recovery Dell disk for windows 8.0 but it ask for the serial number.  My system, a XPS 8700 came with Windows 8.0 but I don't see the Windows 8.0 serial number that it used to be attached to the computer case, next to the TAG and Service number.

The question:  How can I re-install Windows 8 without the serial number?

August 12th, 2015 02:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to the Dell Community Forum. 

The product key on Windows 8 and 8.1 is injected on to the motherboard, hence there is no product key required during installation or activation. 

Request you to provide us the following details to troubleshoot further:

1. Are you using the same Windows 8 disk that came with your system (XPS 8700)?

2. Was the motherboard of the computer replaced at any point? (If yes, then use the product key provided to you during the motherboard replacement)

3. What happens if you leave the product key field blank and try to proceed further? 

Please provide the details and I will check and get back to you at the earliest. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 12th, 2015 12:00

There is no free lunch.  If you have a Dell that has windows genuine label it has to be the SAME version of windows Home  or Pro.   The key is in the bios.

Windows 8 keys are encrypted stored in the Bios installed at the factory.  There are no more COA Stickers due to piracy. (OEM System Builder Versions Do Still have COA Stickers)

Windows 8 now comes with a Genuine Microsoft Label there are NO MORE Certificate of Authenticity (COA) Labels.

See the following examples of labels to look for.

Color-Shifting Ink
The color shift on the label is designed to change from one color to another when viewed from different angles,

making it easy to determine if it is genuine.

Windows 8: magenta to green

Windows 8 Pro: blue to purple

Windows RT: turquoise to purple

Genuine Microsoft Labels
Genuine Microsoft Labels

1 Message

August 13th, 2015 18:00

In fact, they say that Roland will not support some of their devices in Windows 10.

Who says so? Look here for UA-101 and there it says "under Testing". So they do work on an update.

No Events found!