Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

August 10th, 2008 19:00

ICH6R crashes XP. 2 New Samsung HDDs. Help needed!

Raid Controller ICH6R (Dimension Desktop 8400) seems to crash WinXP SP3. No Bluescreen, but immediately restart.

Hello!

Since my Maxtor-HDD crashed, I decided to turn on RAID-1 (Mirror) and bought 2 new Samsung  500GB HDDs (HD502IJ).

- I configured RAID On in BIOS.

- Pressing CTRL-I and configured RAID-1 and choose my brand new Samsung HDDs as RAID Members.

- Installed fresh Win XP with Intel RAID Drivers (downloaded from DELL) (Pressing F6)

- Installed latest Win XP Updates and Service Pack 3

I wondered, that my system crashed unregularely. And Iwondered, that my system had to rebuild RAID on HDD, even my system is just 2 hours young!

I thought, there was a Problem with one of my HDDs. I disconnected and running now only with 1 HDD. But System crashed once again!!

unfortunately there was no bluecreen error message until now.

==> I ran DELL Diagnostic from Boot-CD and checked all my Hardware Components (also Mainboard and Cables etc..) No Errors occured!

==> ESTOOL from SAMSUNG checked my HDDs. All OK

==> I disabled now automatic reboot. "waitung" for a crash ;-)

Please Help! What is wrong? 

I did not had these Problems in the past, when used my PC for 2 Years with "RAID OFF" in normal SATA AHCI Mode.

Message Edited by pooz on 08-10-2008 03:24 PM

2K Posts

August 10th, 2008 21:00

Put it back the way it was when it worked properly.  There is nothing to be gained from either RAID zero or 1.  They are both marketing gimmicks to sell more hardware.

There is software RAID mirror, which backs up your image without the overhead and complication of hardware RAID.  There's Norton Ghost.  There is no worse use for two harddrives than committing them to hardware RAID.  Zero halves your reliability, 1 halves your storage space, and both cost you double for storage.

6 Posts

August 10th, 2008 23:00

What? You are joking. It is not a marketing gimmick. Please try to answer my question.

Norton Ghost? These ARE producing overhead! I prefere Hardware RAID, cause then the backup is working on Bit/Byte-Level.

More Infos I got:

----------------

These Message I Got from "Event-Messages":

""The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period""

Also I analyzed Minidump: It says, that failure could be from "iaStor.sys"

Anybody a productive Idea?

14.4K Posts

August 11th, 2008 11:00

not sure if this migh be related or not but there were issues with the Samsung drives that were in the 420's and it was resolved with a firmware fix

Here's a LINK to the firmware update. It is located under the SATA driver section.

Might be worth a check.

6 Posts

August 11th, 2008 21:00

Thanks Davet50,

this goes into the right direction. I also heard, there are problems with the Intel RAID Controllers and Samsung HDDs.

But the Firmware you pointed to is for the "older" Model HD501LJ. I guess I should find one Version for my Model HD502IJ

Any Idea? I didn´t found it on Samsungs Page

Message Edited by pooz on 08-12-2008 02:02 AM

6 Posts

August 14th, 2008 07:00

Noone any Idea?

6 Posts

August 15th, 2008 08:00

Found my own solution:

Nobody could help me: neither Dell, Samsung nor Intel!

I replaced my HDDs with a pair of Seagtes HDD ST3500320AS 500 GB Barracuda and my system is running well till now! No iaStor.sys error messages. I hope it keeps running in that way.

Now I run them in RAID-1. But I wonder, why my HDDs are accessing the whole time on any Data? Bacause of Mirror-Raid, it sounds as double as loud and awful?

Is here any help?

No Events found!