Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

PF

April 30th, 2008 22:00

IDT audio update killed my sound

This morning (April 30) Windows Update proffered an optional audio codec update for my Dimension E521 running Vista Home Premium 32-bit (no SP1).

It was the IDT High Definition Audio driver which would replace my original Sigmatel driver. 

After allowing Windows Update to install this driver and reboot, I no longer have an audio device installed and my speakers are useless. :smileymad:

Windows was able to install the driver properly, but it fails to load with an error code 10.

Naturally, I rolled back to the earlier Sigmatel driver, but it was now magically broken as well ... "No Audio Device Installed."  >_<  I told Vista to look online for solutions and it automatically reinstalled the IDT High Def Audio driver without my permission.  I rebooted as prompted to see what happened and sound's still kaput.  Was this IDT driver intended for Vista SP1 not regular Vista?

Anyway, it is a total failure and I'm considering installing the Sigmatel driver I just downloaded from Dell Support.  It's dated 2007 and probably is this computer's original driver.  We bought this Dimension in June '07 I believe. 

Need advice as to how to get my sound capability back. PC speaker won't cut it.

Danke. 

21 Posts

May 1st, 2008 01:00

That's interesting, I just noticed that update available for download too on my XPS 720 running Vista Ultimate 64 SP1!  I don't think I'll be updating now knowing that I might lose my audio drivers...

2 Posts

May 1st, 2008 05:00

I ran into the same problem on my Dimension E520. I couldn't get the Vista SP1 update due to my Sigmatel driver. This morning the IDT driver appeared in Windows update and I installed it and then I didn't have sound anymore after installation.

The good news was, SP1 was offered by Windows update for installation since no audio driver was active. But after I installed SP1 successfully, there was still no sound.

I opened the device manager and uninstalled the IDT driver. I also enabled the 'delete driver' check box in the deinstallation dialog. Then after reboot, the old Sigmatel driver was automatically installed and works fine.

Message Edited by Klaus1 on 05-01-2008 01:56 AM

21 Posts

May 1st, 2008 06:00

I directly upgraded to SP1 and didn't bother updating any other drivers, I'm definety ignoring this update.    Unfortunetly the Sigmatel drivers are so bad in Vista that I'm going to upgrade to X-Fi just so I can record audio again.

Dell needs to offer new drivers for the Sigmatel HD integrated to support Vista better...  I can't even use the brand new version of Adobe Audition with this hardware in Vista 64!!!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 1st, 2008 10:00

I updated to the new IDT drivers (IDT is the company that just bought Sigma Tel) and thought it was working on my home built Vista machine with an Intel motherboard.  Later I did some work on it and noticed the sound was not working and had to use the System Restore function to fall back and get the sound working again. 

But the problem is the front panel headphone sound was working, but the rear speaker sound was not working.

May 2nd, 2008 15:00

To update on how to resolve the issue:

I used the Vista System Restore utility and reverted the my Dimension E521 back to it's April 30th state, prior to the fateful IDT High Definition Audio driver update.  Sound is working normally now, with the original Sigmatel High Definition Audio driver (version 6.10.0.5343).  Thankfully, Windows Update is no longer prompting me to download and install the IDT driver. 

For those with concerns about using System Restore, it won't affect the documents/files you've created since the point in time you are restoring the system state to. 

While IDT is ultimately to blame for this debacle, they don't really offer support, so Dell is the company to turn to.  Microsoft also shares the blame for unleashing this half-baked update on unsuspecting victims. 

1 Message

August 29th, 2008 14:00

I have a Dimension c521 and experiencing the same issue with IDT after I reinstalled windows. I'm new to the dell support, however followed the trouble shoot and uninstalled the IDT and still have no sound. I installed the chipsets, my intergrated sound system is enabled, etc. Did the whole nine and still no sound.  I continually get errors of no mixer device or audio device detected. I have checked my usb ports, speakers on another audio device. Please advise if this solution is also good for Windows XP as the tags often mention Vista sucess stories. Thanks!
No Events found!