Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2008 23:00

Improved case cooling on XPS 420?

Is there anyway to put another (quiet) case fan in a XPS 420?

My 8800GT runs pretty hot, there does not appear to much airflow in the case which would tend to make it even worse then it should.

I opened up the case to insert a twin tuner TV card and could not see anywhere obvious to put another fan.

Any ideas or comments?

Thanks

705 Posts

February 19th, 2008 00:00

I have the same card and don't have a heat issue. Is there room behind the pc for good airflow from front to back?

60 Posts

February 19th, 2008 01:00

There is plenty of room around the case.

As I said in another post, my XPS 420 video card, so far, never gets below 67C at idle and easily goes to 72C and I have not played a game on it yet!

A bit of reading on the net suggests that this is not too uncommon for the 8800GT and the XPS 420 case is not really a well ventilated case compared to some.

I was just wondering if there is any way to improve case cooling. There do not seem to be any mounting points for more fans. Every other case I have had you could feel the airflow out of the sides but not with the 420.

Have you checked your temperatures? Unless you live in a cold climate I would doubt you would have a cool 8800GT

The options so far seem to be to use nTune to increase fan speeds on the card.

60 Posts

February 19th, 2008 07:00

Not many responses so I did a bit of research (in other words Googling)

How about this? The  Antec Super Cyclone Blower

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=77194

Anyone tried one?

705 Posts

February 19th, 2008 14:00

Have you checked your temperatures? Unless you live in a cold climate I would doubt you would have a cool 8800GT

you have a point - a balmy 6 degrees today - inside temp mid 60s...

Remember this is a BTX not ATX motherboard so the cooling is different...

37 Posts

March 4th, 2008 13:00

Have you tried the antec slot fan?  If so, how was it?

No Events found!