Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2015 10:00

Inspirion 560 wont turn on

There was a power outage during the night when i went to go turn on the pc it didnt make any noise ( fans starting ect) so i made sure it was plugged in all the way it was then that i noticed that the power button was a solid amber color. the green light on the back of the power supply is green but none of the fans are on. is this a power supply problem or something else?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 21st, 2015 13:00

There was a power outage during the night when i went to go turn on the pc it didnt make any noise ( fans starting ect) so i made sure it was plugged in all the way it was then that i noticed that the power button was a solid amber color. the green light on the back of the power supply is green but none of the fans are on. is this a power supply problem or something else?

amgates

Are there any 'beeps'?

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-560_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf

First power the system down, try removing the power cord and then hold the power button in for about 30 seconds, reconnect the power cord and try starting the system, to see if this makes a difference.

No Difference, a solid amber power button light can indicate a power supply issue, first try installing a 'Known' working power supply to see if this makes a difference. A known working power supply is needed check the motherboard and system.

The Dell Inspiron 560/570 Mini Tower can use most generic standard ATX power supply units, with either a 24-pin or 20+4-pin main motherboard power connector, with or without the on/off switch.

You should be able to buy a compatible power supply from either a local or online computer store.

Note: You require a power supply with a minimum of four SATA power connectors.

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-560_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf

Bev.

6 Posts

September 21st, 2015 14:00

i was getting ready to try the power supply from my other inspirion 560. i will attempt the other way first. ill get back to you

6 Posts

September 21st, 2015 15:00

yup def the power supply, i put mine in from my other pc an it booted normally.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 21st, 2015 22:00

amgates

Please to hear that replacing the power supply was the solution. 

Bev.

2 Posts

September 21st, 2015 23:00

I have the same situation (solid amber power light and no HD activity per led), but replacing the PS did NOT solve the problem. Power to the PC is good, MB LED glows, fans run, but no signal to the monitor and no sounds (beeps). Drives appear to be active because I can feel vibration, although the C drive doesn't sound like it's trying to do anything. So, no POST that I am aware of (since the monitor remains in sleep mode). Also tried removing and replacing CMOS battery but no change there, either. I have tried removing each RAM chip (of two) and reseating them, but still no progress. Is it my Motherboard? If so, can I replace it and still use the current Windows installation on my existing HD or is that tied to the now possibly dead MB?

September 21st, 2015 23:00

Hello and good evening.

I would suggest purchasing an APC Professional Surge Protector which has a "Lifetime Connected Equipment Protection" up to $75,000. I own 4 and I live in Mid-Missouri and the lightning bolts are so close the apartment shakes.

Easily purchased from Dell.

They also protect Phone/Fax/Modem.

Food for thought

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 22nd, 2015 07:00

I have the same situation (solid amber power light and no HD activity per led), but replacing the PS did NOT solve the problem. Power to the PC is good, MB LED glows, fans run, but no signal to the monitor and no sounds (beeps). Drives appear to be active because I can feel vibration, although the C drive doesn't sound like it's trying to do anything. So, no POST that I am aware of (since the monitor remains in sleep mode). Also tried removing and replacing CMOS battery but no change there, either. I have tried removing each RAM chip (of two) and reseating them, but still no progress. Is it my Motherboard? If so, can I replace it and still use the current Windows installation on my existing HD or is that tied to the now possibly dead MB?

bmdaustin

Did you try installing the memory modules in each slot one at a time and booting the system each time to see if this makes a difference.

No difference and as there are no diagnostic 'Beeps', then it would seem the motherboard has issues and should be replaced.

You did not post your computer model and version of windows being used, but you need to buy another Dell OEM motherboard that matches your computer model, hopefully the hard drive will work without having to reinstall windows, but there is no certainty about this.

Bev.

12 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 11:00

I replaced something and it works.  That proves that something was defective?  Of course not.

When you replaced it, you disconnected the AC power cord.  That may have cleared the safety lockout function.  You shotgunned.  Shotgunning can only suggest suspects or only cures symptoms.  Did you replace a defective supply or did you simply clear the safety lockout function?

BTW that  APC recommendation may even make future computer damage easier - has a history of compromising more robust protection that is routinely found in all computers.  If the recommendation is valid, then he also provided manufacturer specification numbers that justify that recommendation.  He cannot.  APC does not provide numbers that claim that protection.

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2015 12:00

You misunderstood - I replaced something and i still DID NOT work. In any case, I found the problem and at least a temporary solution.

One of the front panel USB ports was causing the problem. I disconnected the connector from the MB and was able to boot back up with everything normal again. I'm going to further investigate the port and connector and see if I can't get them to work again, but, if I can't, I can live with it.

No Events found!