Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 25th, 2016 15:00

Inspiron 20 - 3048 Power issues

I am looking for some guidance on this issue on how to proceed. Here is my issue. I have a Dell Inspiron 20- 3048 All-in-one.

Upon pressing the power button, the hard drive lights up white for about 2 seconds and then the power button light turns orange and then flashes 3 times, then nothing for a few more seconds, then flashes twice, then nothing, then back to the 3 times, so on and so forth. The fan continues to run and there are no beeps. Here is what I have tried so far:

I went online and it appears it could be a power related issue. I have replaced the motherboard and I have replaced the power adapter that goes to the motherboard. I have tried 2 different power supplies but still have the same issue. I have unplugged the SATA hard drive and DVD drive from the board but still have the same flashing orange power light. I have taken the memory out and switched slots on it but still the same result. I am not sure what else the issue may be. I do not want to spend a ton more money on this unit but am not sure what to try next. Any ideas/direction are appreciated.

Chris

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

October 26th, 2016 09:00

If the power adapter ring is blue, then it is functioning.

Blinking amber power LED = The system board cannot start initialization or in an S3 power state. There is a power problem, a device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.

Have you replaced the CMOS battery?

If the memory is removed, then the system turned on, you should get 2 beeps.

If the CPU is removed, then the system turned on, you should get 7 beeps.

If not, then my guess is the replacement motherboard is faulty.

4 Posts

November 3rd, 2016 10:00

So, I did remove the memory and it does beep twice. I did not remove the processor to see if it beeps 7 times.

I have tried another CMOS battery and still the same issue

I actually was able to get another replacement board but that does the same thing as well.  I am about ready to give up on this project.  Is there a chance it could be the processor that is causing this? All the research I have done never mentioned specifically the processor but not sure what else it could be. Thoughts?

4 Posts

November 4th, 2016 08:00

Ok, thanks. One more thing I thought of, is there any chance that its the cable that goes from the power button on the side to the motherboard?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 4th, 2016 08:00

The CPU would be the last component to check.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

November 5th, 2016 12:00

It could be possible. I am not sure how to test that unless you replace the cable. You would need to look for the Dell 5 digit part number on it.

No Events found!