Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 20th, 2017 12:00

Inspiron 3043 AIO Seems to have Died

We have two Inspiron 3043 All in One computers, and one seems to have stopped working, though we are at a loss as to why. It looks almost like there is something wrong with the power jack itself.

We swapped the power supplies between the two 3043's we have, and the working 3043 works with both power supplies, and the dead 3043 one works with neither power supply. The strange thing is that when we plug in the power adapter, the light on it goes out the second it is plugged in, which would seem to indicate some type of short internally.

Has anyone else noticed this type of behavior? We were going to get another power supply, but after swapping them, it doesn't seem like that would work.

6 Posts

December 20th, 2017 13:00

Sorry about that, I should have clarified. The working 3043 worked with both power supplies. The one that does not work works with neither power supply, and the power supply light on both goes off when we plug it into the computer that doesn't work.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 20th, 2017 13:00

"We swapped the power supplies between the two 3043's we have, and the other one works with both, and the dead one works with neither."

According to that statement, that says the power supply is defective.  

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 20th, 2017 18:00

So a new power supply doesn't sound like it's going to make any difference, if a known working one doesn't work with that "dead" PC.

You can try this for starters...

Power off "dead" 3043 and disconnect power cord from the rear of the PC

Press/hold power button on PC for ~30 sec

Reconnect power cord from known working power supply to rear of PC

Does it boot now?

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 08:00

Unfortunately, tried that with both power supplies, and still nothing. Once the power supply is plugged in the green light on the supply goes off. Sounds like it must have an internal short inside the unit.

Any other ideas, or do you think it's bricked? I don't have any issues cracking it open, but I'm not sure what I would look for.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

If the system is still under warranty, you should contact Dell Tech Support. Working inside an AIO isn't simple...

You can try this:

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 sec

Open case and disconnect motherboard COIN-CELL battery cable from motherboard

(NOTE: Don't know if battery can be disconnected without removing the motherboard first)

Press/hold power button for ~30 sec

Reconnect the cable to motherboard (and reinstall motherboard) and see if it boots now...

Be sure to read the manual because this system may also have a 4-cell 58 WHr lithium ion battery on the motherboard, if it was ordered as an option.

downloads.dell.com/.../inspiron-20-3043-aio_service manual2_en-us.pdf

Alternatively, you may need to take it to a reputable PC shop for diagnosis and repair.

6 Posts

January 3rd, 2018 11:00

I'll give that a try. I've been inside two Dell Inspiron Ones before to replace the power supplies. that was fun.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 3rd, 2018 13:00

Post back and let us know what happens. And I can't guarantee clearing BIOS, which disconnecting the battery does, will solve this problem...

No Events found!