Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 28th, 2010 15:00

Inspiron 530 noisy CPU fan - final solution?

Hi-

I'm working with an Inspiron 530 that has a CPU fan that is very, very loud.  It starts immediately on boot and does not ever return to a normal speed.  I've seen this issue reported on many times in the forums here with no meaningful response from Dell.  I'm running the latest BIOS and have tried downgrading & upgrading.

My question is this -- if I replace the fan will the noise go away or will a new fan be just as noisy? 

Thanks in advance.. I'm thoroughly exasperated with the lack of a solution from Dell on this chronic issue.  But I'm willing to pay $20 for a new fan in hopes that this resolves the problem.

PS - I can also live with pressing F1 on boot if it's going to be complaining about a missing fan.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 28th, 2010 16:00

Reboot and press F12 before Windows starts to load. Go to the Utilities partition and run the fan tests. If it fails, you need a new fan.

If the fan is running at max all the time, the temp sensor not be working. But it's also possible the heatsink failed or isn't correctly secured in place so the CPU is heating up, making the fan run at max to keep things cool. So you may want to check that. You may need to remove the heatsink,

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

clean off the old thermal paste and apply a thin layer of new paste (eg, Arctic Silver) and then reinstall the heatsink.

On some systems, if the video driver doesn't load correctly or gets corrupted, the CPU fan may continue to run at top speed. As weird as that sounds, you might want to try updating to the latest video driver. You probably should get it from either the ATI or nVidia site because Dell tends to be behind in video driver offerings.

And keep in mind this is only a users' forum. If you want an official response from Dell, you need to contact Tech Support.

Ron

2 Posts

June 29th, 2010 07:00

Ron,

Thanks for your reply.  I checked into the possibility of the CPU overheating but that's not the case.  It's under 50C.  Also, the fan stays at max right from a cold-boot so overheating is unlikely.  I will try reapplying some new thermal paste as a long-shot.  I tried upgrading the video drivers direct from Intel to no avail.

I'm pretty sure this issue is caused by a design flaw somewhere but it's impossible to find out the right solution.  In another thread a Dell rep instructed people to deal with the fan issue by downgrading the BIOS to 1.0.5 and then back up to the latest.  Sadly that didn't help.  All I'd like to know is if a new fan will run at some generic RPM speed and not get pushed to turbine level by the motherboard.

Other fascinating glitches with this system: 

- At times the system will turn on and just beep every four seconds forever.  No beep code listed matches "infinite beeps."

- Other times the fans will power on but the system never attempts to boot.  Also reported by others in this forum.

Presumably all the issues stem from a single source but the question is which component?  The motherboard or the CPU seem to be likely candidates.  RAM has been swapped to no avail.

Dell tech support has been contacted twice but 1) the system is out of warranty and they're mostly interested in selling an upgrade and 2) they made me go through the usual lengthy diagnostics that have nothing to do with BIOS/firmware issues.  I'm hoping the wisdom of the forums can help squeeze a little more life out of this workstation.

Thank you.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 29th, 2010 10:00

If the problem started while it was still under warranty, Dell should fix it even though the warranty has expired.

If the CPU is under 50º then it's probably not a heatsink issue.

I can't say if a new fan will solve the problem. What I can say is if it's a generic (non-Dell) fan, you'll get that fan failure error at every boot, and it will run at a fixed speed. Whether that fixed speed is slow or fast, that will depend on the fan. Will a non-Dell fan even fit on the heat-sink and shroud..??

If the BIOS downgrade and then upgrade fixed the problem for others, try this:

Power off and unplug

Press/hold power button for ~15 Sec

Open the case and remove the motherboard battery

Press/hold power button again for ~30 sec

Reinstall the battery (right-side-up!) and see what happens when you boot with only mouse, monitor and keyboard attached.

BTW: When was the last time you replaced that battery?

Ron

January 29th, 2013 07:00

Hi,

My dell Inspiron 530 CPU fan was so loud I couldn't enjoy music on my PC. I was contemplating replacing PC, then thought is replacing CPU fan (replacement cost about 30GBP) but actually have fixed the problem.

But can of air duster (approx 5GBP). Power down PC and remove mains cable. Remove side panel. Spray between fins of CPU fan.

The CPU heat Sink has very narrow slits which fill up with dust. My PC is near silent now (and is running with less freezing as CPU is cooler).

893 Posts

January 29th, 2013 08:00

If the last advice would not help, I will look into changing heat sink, because 50C seems to be high to me - my original CPU Athlon was idling around 30C and was never close to 50C - Dell usually provide good cooling setups. Problems with cooling in Dells usually start when users upgrade theirs CPUs. I just need to know which CPU you have, so I can check the wattage of it (to see the easiest cooling upgrade).

1 Message

February 1st, 2013 19:00

this is an old issue, but just in case.

I found that two things fixed this problem.  One - clean the heatsink.  Totally remove the fan and the heatsink and clean it.  It's dirty.

This alone didn't fix it.  It wasn't until after I updated the BIOS that the fan stopped running full speed.  Don't know why it worked, but it did.

1 Message

October 24th, 2014 08:00

I know this particular issue is an old one now, but I'm still running this PC alongside a more modern model. The fan still runs really erratically from full speed to mid speed and back again. Is there any fix for this yet?

Is it worth just taking the CPU fan out as I never use it for anything other than reading articles and emails?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 24th, 2014 11:00

If you take the CPU fan out, it will almost certainly overheat and could fry the CPU. And you'll get a "fan failure" error at every reboot.

Did you clean the heatsink and fan as others recommended in this thread?

3 Posts

April 13th, 2016 11:00

look for large cpu process 130,000) in task manager. kill that process. if it changes fan you have a svhost.exe running away...

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 13th, 2016 13:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.  

No Events found!