Highlighted
ZenN1nja
1 Copper

Inspiron 531 1.0.13 bios update problem, wont flash

I am trying to update my bios for my inspirion 531 to the latest bios as i am running 1.0.6, when i run the program on my desktop it creates a item named winflash.sys but wont do anything past that.  Is there any additional programs I need? I am really trying to avoid having to call outside of warranty tech support for this.

0 Kudos
29 Replies
ZenN1nja
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 531 1.0.13 bios update problem, wont flash

Anyone?

0 Kudos

ZenN1nja,

You must close all other applications before running the update. Did you check this?

0 Kudos
Adm7
1 Copper

I had the same problem at first with the message about it not being able to find WinFlash.sys.  Instead of saving the BIOS upgrade utility executable on your desktop, try saving it at C:\ instead.  That seems to allow the utility to find the WinFlash.sys file after it extracts it (probably the utility has a problem with long file paths, or paths with spaces or something like that).  I was able to get the BIOS upgrade utility to work after saving it to the root of my C drive and running it from there.

stemhopper
1 Copper

I am having this same issue. I have tried moving the files to the c: drive, as well as tried each bios upgrade starting with ver 1.0.8. I currently have ver 1.0.7, and I am trying to upgrade to 1.0.13 so I may upgrade my processor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am trying to update my bios for my inspirion 531 to the latest bios as i am running 1.0.6, when i run the program on my desktop it creates a item named winflash.sys but wont do anything past that.  Is there any additional programs I need? I am really trying to avoid having to call outside of warranty tech support for this.

0 Kudos
LxCc
2 Iron

I had the same problem at first with the message about it not being able to find WinFlash.sys.  Instead of saving the BIOS upgrade utility executable on your desktop, try saving it at C:\ instead.  That seems to allow the utility to find the WinFlash.sys file after it extracts it (probably the utility has a problem with long file paths, or paths with spaces or something like that).  I was able to get the BIOS upgrade utility to work after saving it to the root of my C drive and running it from there.

Adm7 plus Chris M.,

I have a Inspiron 531S and having the same problem.  Thought there could have been a problem in the download so did a second with the same issue.  Have also done the C:\ for attempts to install, also closed all programs with no success, have attempted command line operation without success, have also done from Limited User account later did it from Administrator account also F8 into Cmd Line still without success.

I have Win7 64bit O/S, after upgrading from Vista SP2 32bit, any additional information can be provided if asked for, it could get to be a rather long message so do not recommend going into detail.  I installed my own O/S, I have done this before and know how.  My experience is between Intermediate and Expert (this one is a 'drip under pressure' and that is not me).

Short update:

Have moved both EXE and SYS files to Windows/System32/Drivers folder without success, created an ICON for the EXE file and ran from Admin access plus Limited User without success.  Also created an ICON for the C:\ (root) with both files in that root area without success also running as LU and Admin with same results.

TIA, CU L8R,

LxCc "Lone Wanderer"

0 Kudos
jsktx
3 Cadmium

I don't think this particular BIOS update is 64bit compatible.  The 531/531s were never sold with a 64bit operating system.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz – Western Digital 500GB SATA 3 SSD – Western Digital 1TB SATA 3 HDD – ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550W PSU - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Dell E2211H Flat Panel Monitor
0 Kudos
LxCc
2 Iron

jsktx,

Thank you for this info, I had posted in another area and was told it should work, O/S makes no difference.  Yet it still will not update.  I have Win7 64bit running on this system now and it is much better than the Vista 32bit that came installed.  I just would like for Dell to give the full information about this type of difficulty instead of just remaining out of touch with their customers.

I have found forums are the best place to get information about problems we have.  Most companies just will not share the information.

Again, "jsktx" thank you for this info,

TIA, CU L8R,

LxCc "Lone Wanderer"

0 Kudos
jsktx
3 Cadmium

I don't know if this will actually work or not, but you can try.

• Burn the BIOS update to a CD.
  • Boot from the Dell Driver & Utlitlies CD.
  • Choose exit to DOS.
  • Switch CDs and run the BIOS update.

Like I said I don't know if this will work.  Good luck.

Vostro 460 – Intel Core i7 2600 @ 3.4Ghz - 16GB DDR3 @ 1333MHz – Western Digital 500GB SATA 3 SSD – Western Digital 1TB SATA 3 HDD – ASUS GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB DDR5 – 16X DVD-RW – 16X DVD-ROM - Antec 550W PSU - Windows 10 Pro x64 - Dell E2211H Flat Panel Monitor
0 Kudos
LxCc
2 Iron

jsktx,

Very short, it did not work.

TIA, CU L8R,

LxCc "Lone Wanderer"

0 Kudos