Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2013 23:00

Inspiron 580 problem with installing Ram

Hi, I bought an Inspiron 580 a few years ago and decided to upgrade the RAM and graphics card. The new graphics card works fine, and I also bought some new RAM(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148558). When I put in this new RAM, the computer powers up in cycles, e.g. it powers up, shows the Dell start screen, loads, and powers down, doing it again and again. I made sure everything was seated correctly(swapped back in the old graphics card), and the computer still wouldn't start. Then, I put back the old memory(4 1GB sticks) and my computer gave 4 beeps and wouldn't start. I'm not really sure what to do, I'm not really sure what happened, because my computer won't boot even with its old configuration.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

June 10th, 2013 23:00

HI gratimax,

This system supports 1066 MHz DDR3 and 1333 MHz DDR3 unbuffered SDRAM. The maximum memory supported is 8 GB. However, in one memory slot, it would only support 4 GB module. The memory that you bought was SDRAM DDR3 1600 which is unsupported by this system.

I would suggest you to remove all the memory modules from the computer. Then put one RAM at a time and check if there is any change. Ensure that you check in all the available slots with just one RAM. This is to check the functionality of the slots. Please refer to the Service Manual.

Please share the findings.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 11th, 2013 00:00

If possible, I suggest going into the BIOS setup and resetting the configuration to factory defaults.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2013 15:00

Turns out one of my RAM had a problem, not really sure, but one stick prevented all the others from loading. Thanks guys.

4 Operator

• 

3.1K Posts

June 12th, 2013 03:00

Hi gratimax,

Glad to know that the system is working fine. feel free to reach out in case need any further assistance.

No Events found!