Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

November 2nd, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 660S factory reset help needed

My nephew inadvertently upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 when it was being pushed so hard. I tried to do a factory reset and it reinstalled windows 10. I downloaded the Dell OS Recovery Tool and a KeyIncloud.zip program to make a bootable USB stick to reset the computer. I have tried on the PC I want to reset AND a different PC and the Recovery Tool says there is no OS image defined for this product. What do I do or where do I ask to find out what to do?

The hard drive has three Recovery Partitions, one is 450 MB, one is 490 MB, and one is 11.81 GB. Would the Original factory settings with Windows 8 be the 11.81 GB partition? How would I access it? I tried holding the Shift Key and tapping F8 during boot up about 25 times with no luck.

Any help greatly appreciated he has not used this PC in about a year and would like to use it again.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 08:00

Windows 8 cannot remove or modify  windows 10 partitions.   If you put a new blank hard drive in you can reinstall.   FACTORY reset is not downloadable or install-able or repairable by end users.  DISKPART with windows PE 10 is required to CLEAN the drive so that you can re install an older OS.

7 Posts

Why won't the factory reset download work?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Original factory is DESTROYED with 10 upgrade.  Unless you have 8 DVD your only option is to use diskpart and clean the drive and start over.

7 Posts

November 2nd, 2017 11:00

Not sure what I did different but I got the USB drive made and Windows 8 is installed.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 2nd, 2017 12:00

My experience with this restore means that there are drivers missing.  Factory Restore does everything including drivers.

No Events found!