Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2017 20:00

Install third HDD in 8920 Dell XPS desktop

My new 8920 XPS came the the hard drive in the lower bay and the wires going to it have connectors for the second drive (power and data) but no connectors for the top bay (3 bays total). There are 2 other sets of connectors near the top bay that come from the power supply also but they have smaller wires so I am wondering what those 2 sets are for. I don't want to plug one of them into a third (top bay) drive without knowing if that is what they are intended for. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

November 14th, 2017 05:00

Here is the XPS 8920 Service Manual. Read the sections on HDD and SSD. In theory, as long as the connections match, any power supply cable can be used for any device. Perhaps you could post a picture of the cables in question.

732 Posts

November 14th, 2017 11:00

Thanks I guess I missed it but it DOES show those other wires and 2 connectors coming out of the PS. I can't post pictures now because of computer problems. Three days after I got the new 8920 it quit like you turned a car key off after an hour. They said they would send someone out but 5 days later I was still waiting for a call but nothing. I guess they forgot me but 4 days later someone came and replaced the motherboard with no success so now they are going to send a new one. When the repairman came I asked him about the missing connector for the top/front HDD bay (on the wires going to the bottom 2 bays) and he said that using one of those 2 other connectors not associated with the lines going to the bottom two bays was fine (like you said). Luckily I didn't reset the OS on this "old" XPS 8500 I'm on right now.

No Events found!