Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 22nd, 2017 18:00

Installed more RAM on Inspiron 3650

Hi, I just installed 16GB (8x2) on my Inspiron 3650 Desktop. It used to have 6GB. After installing and closing the case, I plugged it back in and connected all the peripherals. Then I started it up. Now the power light flashes in orange and there's nothing on the screen. The light is usually white and solid. My question is, is this normal? Is it running a memtest? I will keep it on and wait to see if it boots into windows. I'll report back. Please reply with info on is this normal. Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 08:00

I would suspect the memory.   First, is compatibility and second a possible defective module.  Try with one memory module installed and see if it boots.  If not try with just the second one.  If it still does not boot, reinstall the original memory.  If it works OK with the original memory, that suggests you have the wrong memory.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 10:00

here is the listed spec's for your model

Memory

Slot Two UDIMM slots Type Dual‑channel DDR3L Speed 1600 MHz Configurations supported 2 GB, 4 GB, 8 GB, 12 GB, and 16 GB

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

November 23rd, 2017 16:00

crucial.com guarantees their RAM will work if they recommended it for a specific PC model, or they take it back. Here's their link for the Inspiron 3650

http://www.crucial.com/.../inspiron-3650

BTW: Did you try resetting BIOS after you installed the new RAM to see if it will get recognized? With old RAM installed, reboot and immediately press F2 to open BIOS setup. Copy down all current settings to be safe.

Then power off and unplug. Press/hold power button for ~15 sec. Open case and remove motherboard battery. Press/hold power button for ~30 sec. Remove old RAM and install new RAM. Reinstall the battery.

Close up and see if it boots now. If not, fireberd is probably right that new RAM is incompatible or defective...

27 Posts

November 23rd, 2017 16:00

Hi, I put the old memory in and it works fine. I must have got the wrong kind. It matches the above kind and speed of ram, it doesn't say DDR3L so I can't check that from the label. I'll have to see if I can return it and get the right kind. I'll message back.

No Events found!