Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

March 1st, 2005 15:00

Installing a Mitsumi combined 7in1 Card Reader / Floppy Drive into a Dimension 5000

I'm trying to install a Mitsumi FA404M combined internal 7in1 card reader/floppy drive into the single 3.5" drive bay on a new Dimension 5000.  This was the only way I could have a floppy AND card reader onboard - the DELL-branded Media Card Reader accessory does not have the floppy drive and there is only one 3.5" bay.

The floppy drive part is handled via the standard ribbon cable supplied with the Dimension - no problem.

The card reader part uses cable terminated in a 4-way female USB socket.

The motherboard on the Dimension 5000 has a 10-way "FlexBay" connector described in the User Manual as a "USB 10-pin header".  It has 2 rows of 5 pins.  Although the body of the socket on the device's cable is the same size as the long axis of the "FlexBay" connector, the pin spacings are different, so I cannot mate the two with the existing  set-up.

I think the FlexBay connector is a DELL proprietary header for DELL USB floppy drives and the optional DELL Media Card Reader.

Can anyone help with ...
a) the pin layout for the 10-pin FlexBay header
b) a source for a plug that will fit into the 10-pin FlexBay header so I can make up an adapter
c) any other suggestions on how to get round this

FYI I have already come up with following alternatives:
A. Fit internal PCI USB card and connect card reader cable to that.  PROBLEM: Dimension 5000 motherboard only has 2 PCI slots.  One is already being used by the DELL fax/modem card (I had assumed this would be built-in like on my Compaq DeskPro - grrr!) and I'll be using the other one for a sound card.

B. Wire up a USB 4-pin male to USB 'A' male extension cable and pass it out through the back of the case and into one of the rear USB ports. PROBLEM: None, but SOOOO MESSY :(

C. Somehow connect up to the front USB ports which are mounted on a front panel I/O daughterboard and connected to the motherboard via a flat ribbon cable.  PROBLEM: Don't know the wiring plan for that cable AND I'll lose one or both of the front USB ports.

D. Flog the Mitsumi combined drive on eBay and replace with plain internal floppy and an external media card reader!!!  PROBLEM: Combined drive is SUCH a neat solution!

There seems to have been a couple of recent posts similar to this, but I could not find any reply actually giving the pin-out details.  Probably because the Dimension 5000 hasn't gone worldwide yet.

Here's hoping anyway :)
Cheers,
Mk

446 Posts

September 11th, 2006 16:00

Hi kennova,

If it isn't an exact match I would not mess with it, probably a different MoBo entirely. These are the only models that should be a match to this FlexBay pinout setup. Only ONE port/header that I can see.

· Dimension 3100   · Dimension E310   · Dimension 5000   · Dimension 5100

· Dimension 5150   · Dimension E510   · Dimension 9100   · Dimension 9150

· XPS 400

5150guy

Message Edited by 5150Guy on 09-11-200612:56 PM

8 Posts

September 29th, 2006 16:00

I purchased a Sabrent 52-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Memory Card Reader/Writer ($20 shipped) from Global/TigerDirect but didn't want to deal with rewiring anything to fit the FlexBay header so I just purchased a cheap USB PCI card with the proper internal header.  The card I got was the Rosewill "PCI to 2+1 USB2.0 Cards Model RC-100" from Newegg ($12 incl. shipping and tax).  I don't have the CPU usage issue 5150Guy had.  All works perfectly and I now have some extra USB2 ports to boot :-)

446 Posts

October 28th, 2007 19:00

I appreciate knowing the cable conversion and pinout will include the 380. I'll add that to my list of compatabilities! (I'm the guy that makes these)

5150Guy

283 Posts

October 28th, 2007 19:00

Update for Dell Flexbay project. (Take that, Dell)

I found contacting Dell for Flexbay pinout a waste of time and effort. (If Dell is unable to supply product Floppy/card reader combo customer requires, it would be nice if they could at least provide information). Read the pain of other Dell customers here. Ordering a ribbon cable, Dell part number R6401, however; was a success and I received it within a few days.

Flexbay definitely supports standard 4 pin card reader. For anyone who is interested the pinout located here is correct and worked flawlessly on my Dell Precision 380.

I am delighted to now have a nice looking, fully functional floppy/card reader combo, which I had desired since purchase of my computer.

For those who are not comfortable to solder a four pin terminal to a 10 wire ribbon, can purchase a ready made, inexpensive, easy to use cable for this application on eBay link provided here.

Hope this provides some help to people like me, who were frustrated from Dells inability to provide simple information.

Ratz

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Precision 380 WorkStation,Tower, Pentium4 630 3GHz Prescott-2M 800, XP Pro SP2
BIOS Dell A08, MOBO Dell 0G9322 Intel Glenwood i955X Chipset
3GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM, ECC, 2x1G Crucial, 2x512 Infineon
Western Digital 800JD 80GB SATA-II 7200RPM, NCQ, 8MB Non-Raid (1st drive)
Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA-II 7200RPM 8MB Non-Raid (2nd drive)
Western Digital WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 16MB Non-Raid (3rd drive) awesome.
PCI Express x16 128MB Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 (ForceWare 91.85)
1.44MB Floppy Drive
LG CD-RW GCE-8487B Optical Drive
LG DVD+-RW GWA4164B Optical Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI card
Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5750 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Conexant D850 56K V92 DFVc Modem
Dell 1907FP (Digital)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

283 Posts

October 28th, 2007 23:00

Thanks 5150Guy, I am glad there are such a hard working people like you.

I would like to add, that the Precision 380 motherboard Flexbay has full 10 pins and not 9 like in the photo. However the functionality of the four pins used for the application remains the same.

Ratz

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dell Precision 380 WorkStation,Tower, Pentium4 630 3GHz Prescott-2M 800, XP Pro SP2
BIOS Dell A08, MOBO Dell 0G9322 Intel Glenwood i955X Chipset
3GB, 667MHz, DDR2 SDRAM, ECC, 2x1G Crucial, 2x512 Infineon
Western Digital 800JD 80GB SATA-II 7200RPM, NCQ, 8MB Non-Raid (1st drive)
Hitachi HDT722525DLA380 250GB SATA-II 7200RPM 8MB Non-Raid (2nd drive)
Western Digital WD7500AAKS-00RBA0 16MB Non-Raid (3rd drive) awesome.
PCI Express x16 128MB Nvidia Quadro FX 1400 (ForceWare 91.85)
Mitsumi 1.44MB Floppy Drive Card Reader Combo
LG CD-RW GCE-8487B Optical Drive
LG DVD+-RW GWA4164B Optical Drive
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI card
Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5750 Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Conexant D850 56K V92 DFVc Modem
Dell 1907FP (Digital)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspiron 8600 :) Windows XP Home-SP2, Bios A14 (Floppy method)
Pentium M, 1.4GHz, 15.4 in WSXGA+ Hitachi
512MB,DDR 333MHz, 64MB GeForce FX Go5200
60GB 7200RPM HDD
90Watt Power adapter
Floppy Drive
24x Combo DVD/CD-RW Drive
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Intel Pro 2100 miniPCI Wireless Card
MS Office XP Small Business
Venice Blue Snap Cover
3 Year Complete Care Warranty
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inspiron 8100 :) - P3 866MHz - WIN XP Home (Clean Install) -SP2
BIOS A15 (Floppy method )
14.1" Hitachi SXGA Display
External Monitor Dell 1504FP Ultra Sharp
512MB RAM (Crucial)
16MB GeForce2 Go Mobile Drivers 4.4.2.5 Video card Bios 3.11.0144
ESS Maestro Driver 5.12.01.1174
Hitachi Travelstar 7K60 60GB 7200RPM Mobile Hard Drive
Hitachi Travelstar 40GNX 40GB ATA-5 2.5in 5400RPM in MediaBay
TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-C2502
Modular Floppy (Standard)
3Com 56K V.90 Mini PCI Modem-Product # 3CN3AC1556B
SONY DRX-710UL DVD-RW 1394/Firewire/i.Link
Iomega 100 Zip Drive USB
EPSON Perfection 1650 Scanner USB
SanDisk CompactFlash Card Reader USB
HP LaserJet 6P 18MB Crucial RAM
MS Office XP Small Business
Burlwood palm rests
MS Optical Wheel Mouse
3 Year Limited warranty
I Love My Dell :)
D-Link DI624 Router

Message Edited by Ratz on 10-29-2007 12:08 PM

8 Posts

October 29th, 2007 17:00

Yes... good to know. 

Update on my previous post: The Rosewill RC-100 card I installed in my Precision 390 acts up on occasion (every 4-6 months).  It seems it will create a conflict and all the USB ports on the computer stop working.  I have to remove the card and move it to a different slot and everything will work again.  It's actually been longer than 6 months since I had the problem last so hopefully it is gone for good but if it rears it's ugly head again, I will likely look at getting one of the adapters you linked to...

Message Edited by RobtRoma on 10-29-2007 01:36 PM

6 Posts

January 14th, 2008 22:00

Can someone please post the photo of the FlexBay pinout again, or at least describe in detail where pins 1 and 2 are? Thanks. The card reader that came with my 9150 can't read SDHC, so I intend to hack into the FlexBay cable to mate it to the USB2 header cable on my new 3.5" bay zillion-in-one card reader. BTW, Some nice pinouts and descriptions of standard USB header here http://www.frontx.com/cpx101_2.html ian

446 Posts

January 15th, 2008 18:00

Here is some info I compiled on what I know about this.

446 Posts

January 15th, 2008 20:00

This is all the information I have found and implimented since the start of this thread, at my website here.

6 Posts

January 19th, 2008 05:00

Thanks much. I'm sure I can tackle that. I've already got a multi-card reader in my 9150, so I've got the Flexbay connector and cable to hack into. Just scrounged a 4 pin header off an old motherboard, so should be good to go. ian

6 Posts

January 19th, 2008 07:00

Well, finally got it working.. but not without some pain.
Found one quirk with the Dimension 9150 right off.
I first wired it up based on your photo of the plug and wire as seen from the back, then realized that the key is on the other side of the plug on this machine, so all my pins were in the wrong place.
I double checked pins 2 and 10 on the flexbay header with the multimeter, and then wired it up correctly per your first photo.
Plugged it into one of the two sides of the multi-card-reader plug and found that the extra USB port in the reader bay worked (Plugged a harddrive into it, read from it.. etc). But none of the card bays worked. Swapped the header over to the other side of the plug, rebooted and the machine found the multi-reader and added the 4 card slots.

But then it read read very slowly. Less than 1MB/s. Much slower than that 13-in-1 reader that came with the machine. Unplugged the USB header and then back in, and get this message in a tray popup.

"This device can perform faster

This USB device can perform faster if you connect it to a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 port.
For a list of available ports, click here. "

Since I know my old reader was much faster it had to be talking USB2.0.
Strange thing is, when I moved it back to the other side of the plug
and test the extra USB port, it appears to be talking USB2.0 as I'm getting
13MB/sec transfers. But the card reader side insisted that it's not
being plugged into a high speed port. Very odd.

Left it plugged in, and rebooted again (about the 3rd or 4th time)
and this time, it *appears* to be reading cards at USB2.0 speeds.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

ian

Message Edited by Daemon42 on 01-19-2008 04:17 AM

446 Posts

January 20th, 2008 22:00

Hmmm, that is odd indeed, I had not seen that glitch with this conversion system. I hope its still working as advertised though! All I can figure is Windows was having a hard time finding the exact USB 2.0 driver for that media port, so it was defaulting to the USB 1.1 drivers.

5150Guy

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2008 04:00

Seems to be holding up fine. Been pulling huge files off my 4GB SDHC card. I used the 64-in-1 (although box says 65-in-1) 3.5" multi-card reader from Tiger Direct. The guide linked above is excellent and here's a photo showing my quick hack job of the Flexbay cable that came with the machine (before trimming and wrapping the cable). Pins 1 and 2 are bottom of the cable and bottom of the Flexbay connector with key in that orientation. ian

446 Posts

January 22nd, 2008 10:00

Nice job! However, I noted that you used the wrong half of the cable, as I did on one of my tries. When the other end of the cable is used with the keyway orientation as you have shown here, you actually wind up with the red stripe at the top of the cable, which signifies the pin one position, and also the "hot" side of the cable (+5 volts). The cable will obviously WORK in the configuration you show, it's just in reverse (incorrect orientation). The red stripe in your configuration actually is in the pin 10 position. Nice soldering and shrink tubing work. Now cut off the excess wires and put a large piece of shrink tubing over the connector and cable and it will look pro. By the way, Wal-Mart (if you have one near you) carries a paint on insulation called "Liquid Tape" in the Automotive section. This stuff is very durable and flexible. Works great for forming connectors or where the shrink tubing isn't practical. It just brushes on and you can build it and shape it. 5150Guy

446 Posts

January 28th, 2008 17:00

Thats funny. 10 to 1 they had it backwards at the factory, which really doesn't matter, it will still work, but the red stripe is the "hot" or also signifies pin one of the port assembly. It will work either way, it is just aesthetics I guess. The important thing is that it works. :smileyvery-happy:

5150Guy
No Events found!