Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 5th, 2010 20:00

Integrated 7-in-1 Media Card Reader / Inspiron 2305 (HOW TO USE??)

Ok, I'm your average computer user, but have never used one of these 7-in-1 media card readers. I've seen the ones that have several different slots for diferent types of cards, but this is just one standard slot in the side of the All-in-one monitor/PC, so i'm curious how it works?

Obviously, this new Inspiron 2305 is too new to have support information and user manuals on the support webiste as i've spent over two hours searching and can not find anything. And this lovely machine came with a simple getting started guide with no information on this part of the computer.

Thank you!

Aaron

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2010 03:00

HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

are the Dell on-line manuals.  There should be a manual pre-loaded on your PC.

That card reader slot appears to be one of the new "all in one" types and wil accept any card, such as SD, compact flash, etc.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2010 04:00

I have found those two (set up guide / service manual) previously and one is a basic set up guide and only points to it in a picture and says what it is and the other does not mention the card reader at all and is a manual to tear the computer apart. The documentation tha came with it says go to support.dell.com/mynewdell to download the "user guide", which is most likely what tells how everything works, but exactly what I can't find, and for some reason is not listed with the manuals? Maybe there aint one yet...???

And yes, the card does appear to be one of those new ALL IN ONE types. I just have no idea what the "7" types of media are it will support. The slot is relatively large and looks as if the memory stick proDUO card from my camera would fall in and get lost let alone the MicroSD from my phone.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 6th, 2010 08:00

The micro SD cards, like are in many phones, require an adapter, which is standard size SD.  I have one of those in my LG "Touch" phone.  When I bought the micro SD card it came with the full size SD adapter.

We are users helping users on here, not Dell employees so we only have access to the same thing you do.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2010 12:00

Thank You! I really appreciate it. I was hoping to find someone that had experience using it. Searching I find several different "all in ones" that support several different types of media. I was hoping to find someone that could tell me what types of media it uses (the 7 without an adapter) and so on. My  microSD adapter does fit well...

Thanks!

2 Posts

May 25th, 2011 07:00

Hi

I have just purchased a Vostro 330, which uses the same card reader as the Inspiron 2305 - an Alcor Micro AU6437 (you can see this on the Dell drivers pages).

A bit of a google turns up a datasheet (here - http://www.ntgroup.com.cn/prosinfo.asp?ArticleID=459), which states that the controller supports SD, MMC, MS, MS Pro and MS Pro-HG.

Now by my reckoning, that adds up to 5 and not 7, so I can only assume that the missing 2 are variations of the above formats with adaptors...

Google is your friend!!

January 15th, 2012 03:00

Ok, I'm your average computer user, but have never used one of these 7-in-1 media card readers. I've seen the ones that have several different slots for diferent types of cards, but this is just one standard slot in the side of the All-in-one monitor/PC, so i'm curious how it works?

Obviously, this new Inspiron 2305 is too new to have support information and user manuals on the support webiste as i've spent over two hours searching and can not find anything. And this lovely machine came with a simple getting started guide with no information on this part of the computer.

Thank you!

Aaron

January 15th, 2012 03:00

I also have this problem. My computor is a Dell Inspiron 2310 whicd has such a card reader and I don't know haw to use it. I am slso waiting for an answer.

1 Message

May 26th, 2012 16:00

With an: UN-Inspiron 1720 having a Ricoh 7in1 Memory Card Reader

Let's see ...it's now the end of May and no answers from anyone, including any possible Dell Employees with a remote interest in problems that their customers are facing with their products, about why perfectly functional SD Cards can't even be recognized by Dell's Magically Operated 7in1 Card readers that have the latest Ricoh Drivers installed?

What a sad statement of affairs.

If indeed this issue has been identified, and maybe even resolved, if someone could provide feedback on it I would certainly appreciate it. Otherwise if anyone knows how to wake up Dell's version of the Maytag Repairman perhaps they could perform that service for those of us who otherwise are dependent on the clearly disclaimer-ed 'opinions' of other users who ask questions like: Did you unlock the card ...or... Are the latest drivers installed ...or... Have you shutdown your PC/Laptop and Cold Booted ...or... one of a hundred other questions that are posted for either the absent minded or completely brain dead and do  those of us only semi-brain-dead users, who can still troubleshoot & effectively repair a down light-bulb* situation, very little good.

*(or alternative photon radiation emitting high voltage phosphor-fluorescent inert gas & mercury filled 'earth friendly' twisted glass glow stick counterpart that will eventually require a certified hazmat team to clean up if broken. But at least it will temporarily shift the focus of attention away from all the yet to be discovered lead/lithium battery, plastic, electronics, inert gas & metal polluting bi-products of production plus end of life dumping and help us focus on all that carbon we've been mucking up all the air we swim in & breath for the last couple hundred years (give or take a millennium or two).

Sincerely,

Herb Ahvore

...what am I here for?

May 27th, 2012 03:00

Since I posted this question I descovered that all I had to do was to push the card in deeper into the card reader. Imagine how sheepish I felt after descovering this.

7 Posts

August 3rd, 2012 14:00

How did you get the card back out?

August 5th, 2012 03:00

i clicked on safely remove hardware and when this was cleared I simply pulled the card out  out since it protrudes a bit. from the card reader.

1 Message

May 11th, 2013 11:00

Herb Ahvore,

Good question - why are you here?  Were you oblivious to the fact that this thread was asking a completely different question to the one you're annoyed that it didn't answer?  This thread was about how to use the 7-in-1 when it's fully functioning, not how to troubleshoot a malfunctioning 7-in-1.

I hope you'll gotten your 7-in-1 to work by now.  I've never had a problem with mine.

Cori

1 Message

October 22nd, 2013 03:00

Hi,

I bought Dell Inspiron 15 3521 model last week..

I surprised why this model comes without any adapter for memory cards...

Simply there is a slot there... How to use micro sd cards without adapter also since it is kept open there is a chances of insects getting in and dust problem etc..  I was dissatisfied on this...

Someone pls suggest where I will get perfect adapter for this model not only for memory card use but also to fill the slot to protect it from dust and insects..

Thank you in advance..

No Events found!