Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 12th, 2009 18:00

Intel core 2 QUAD or DUO???

Now I have a Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz. but for playing latest games I need more than 3.0 GHz.

That's why I'm going to buy a new processor (new motherboard too) . But I am confused to choose which one.

Quad Q9650 is 3.0 GHz with 12 MB Cache => 389.- CHF

Quad Q9550 is 2.83 GHz with 12 MB cache ==> 269.- CHF

BUT!!

Duo E8500 is 3.16 GHz 6 MB 239.-  and  E8600 is 3.33 GHz 6 MB 339.0 CHF.

Duo seems to be cheaper than Quad. But Quad has better performance with expensive price.

I would like to buy a CPU with better performance for a LONG time, but not much expensive.

What would you recommend?

Liu.

3 Posts

July 12th, 2009 19:00

My last desktop was built for gaming and photo editing. I chose the AMD Phenom 9600 (a quad core CPU clocked at 2.3GHz) because they were built specifically for media/games and were much cheaper at the time than the Intel equivalent. Most games I play these days call for clock speeds that are higher than what my CPU is rated at, however my system handles pretty much all games I've thrown at it. For games, generally speaking, you should spend more on your graphics card than your CPU. Most of the processing is done on the graphics card these days, freeing up the CPU for other background tasks. If you are building a computer for gaming from scratch, I would say spend $400+ (preferably $600 min) on your graphics. Your system will be "futureproof" for at least 12 months. Don't skimp on RAM either. If your OS is 64 bit, and you use memory intensive applications, I would be going for a minimum of 4GB low latency RAM. As for the CPU, not a whole lot of applications are written for more than 2 cores at the moment, however it is certainly the way of the future and new applications are being written or adapted to use 4 or more cores quite regularly, so if you can afford to it would be a good idea to go for a Q9650 or a Q9550 if you can't.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 14th, 2009 11:00

Keerthikan_91 

No, the e510/5150 does not support either Core 2 Duo, or Core 2 Quad processors.

The e520 motherboard should fit the e510/5150 chassis and supports P-4, Pentium D, Core 2 Duo and Celeron D processors, regards to supporting the Core 2 Quad, read the discussion  HERE

Also, the e520 motherboard has no support for IDE drives, the E510 optical drives are IDE, you would need to buy SATA drives.

The e510/5150 has a BTX chassis and motherboard, I doubt that you could find a non-Dell retail motherboard that would fit, plus when a non-Dell motherboard is used, you would need to but a new retail, or OEM copy of windows, as Dell's OEM copies are tied to their BIOS and cannot be activated.

You may find cheaper and a lot less aggro, to buy a new, or refurbished PC.

Bev. 

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 12th, 2009 19:00

Keerthikan_91 

What is the computer model?

Bev.

July 14th, 2009 03:00

I have Dell Dimension 5150.

Motherboard name : Dell Dimension E510

Is it compatible for Quad? Is it necessary to change the motherboard? If not, I can save the money for a new motherboard.  :emotion-1:

If I have to, what kind of motherboard is worth for gaming? good performance, but not so expensive. normal price..

Thanks.

Liu

2 Posts

February 3rd, 2010 12:00

I do not want to seem like a eavesdropper on your post, but I have to correct on piece of info that you passed on. It is not necessary to purchase new OS software as I have installed Dell OEM operating systems on HP's, E-Machines............etc. and activated them without incident. It may require activating through the toll-free line, but it is effective.

Christopher

No Events found!