Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2002 22:00

Intranet

Is an Intranet about the same as a LAN? (I have look it up on the internet, but still do not understand it 100%) Thanks! -Greg

1K Posts

June 27th, 2002 22:00

An Intranet is the use of Internet technologies within an organization (or company) to achieve better results than the conventional means of data access and transfer. Intranet helps in cutting costs, easy and fast accessibility of day to day information.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Q2.2 How is it different from "the" Internet ?
Generally speaking an Intranet is different from an Internet in the following ways:
i. Intranet is a network within the organization whereas Internet is a world wide network .
ii. Intranet has access to Internet but not vice- versa.

source:

http://www.intrack.com/intranet/index.cfm

Typically it always resides behind a firewall and employs encryption to protect proprietary information sharing, etc.

691 Posts

June 27th, 2002 23:00

So if you were to setup a Intranet thing between two computer you would be able to access the Internet on them both and access files on both of the computers? -Greg ***CONFUSED***

THANKS!!!!

10 Posts

June 28th, 2002 14:00

I guess the best way to explain it is to say that an Intranet is a small internet used exclusively within an organization.
Most companies use intranets for information exchange among departments while limiting non-company access. A lot of proprietary information is kept on Intranets so you would not want access from the internet.

My feeling is that you are interested in setting up a LAN or local area network. This is different from an intranet.

Yes you can have a lan connecting two pc's and they can share information.

Hope this helps

No Events found!