Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2013 18:00

Keyboard works - volume knob and special buttons don't.

I recently got and installed a Dell keyboard (Model SK-8135). Windows (XP) did its "Installing new hardware" thing, and said it was ready to use.

The normal keyboard functions work, but the special functions do not, including media controls, volume knob, app launch, and brobuttons.

I have tried going to "Control Panel">"Add New Hardware" The search finds no unsupported hardware which sounds remotely related to the keyboard. I have also tried restarting my computer, and even using Driver Magician to search for new or updated drivers. Still nothnig.

Any suggestions? I am using a Dell desktop (Hyperthreaded), running Windows XP (SP3) on a SATA drive.

*I know this is not really the right category for such a problem, but it was the best I could find - sorry if this causes any confusion or problem!*

1.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 07:00

Hi Dave987,

Please click on the link below for an article which provides information on Media Button functionality troubleshooting

Keyboard Multimedia Buttons are not Working due to the Human Interface Device Access Service   http://dell.to/1gEQv42

In case the issue persists, please reply with the computer model name.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

6 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 14:00

I have found the service (HID Input Service), which IS disabled, but when I try to enable it, I am told:

"Could not start HID Input service on Local Computer.

Error 2: The system cannot find the file specified"

What can I do?

Thanks!

1.3K Posts

October 28th, 2013 05:00

Hi Dave987,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you still getting the error message for the HID Input Service being disabled?

Let us know if further help is needed.

Thanks & regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell
To know more about Dell Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Order & Dispatch status -> choose your region ->
US Customers; UK Customers; India Customers. For Dell support videos click Here

No Events found!