Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2004 06:00

McAfee Virus Scan 2005 v. 9.0.

I just recently installed McAfee Virus Scan 2005 v. 9.0 (from store bought CD) on my old Dimension 4100 (Windows ME)  (replacing Norton AV which I previously had on the machine; the Norton AV was completely uninstalled before installing the McAfee AV.).  The McAfee seems to work OK, with one major exception.  The exception involves the automatic download / installation of virus definition updates.  The download part of the automatic update runs OK.  However, the installaltion part of the automatic update causes a "mini crash", i.e., the computer "shuts down", and I get the "scan disk running" notice due to "unauthorized shutdown", then the computer re-starts.  The installed definition update "takes" OK, but it causes that "unauthorized shutdown".  The same "unathorized shutdown" has happened with the last three or four automatic updates.  I have contacted McAfee on each occasion; they have been of no help.  Any ideas on what might be wrong?  Is McAfee Virus Scan 2005 v.9.0 really compatible with Windows ME (I mention this because I have a somewhat older version of McAfee on my 4600 which runs on XP, and no problems whatsoever).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 26th, 2004 10:00

Since this is a software issue, I suggest you post in the Other Software forum.

9 Posts

November 27th, 2004 03:00

If your running windows xp pro or home you probably have already downloaded windows service pack 2. that is were your problem is coming from. hit the little red icon on your task bar by the time. on the anti virus part click on the recomendations and tell windows that you will moniter your antivirus on your own. restart and the will make the little red icon go away and your sysem will start working fine.
No Events found!