Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

April 11th, 2000 10:00

McAfee and Dellnet dialer at startup

3 weeks ago my computer started to do this weird thing and I can't figure out how to stop it. I turn the computer on, and all is well (all my destop icons are there, and my wallpaper is there, all the system tray icons are there, all my quick launch icons are there), then McAfee and the Dellnet dialer open automatically - everytime I start up the computer. I've checked my startup folder, and I've checked my Scheduled Tasks, but there's nothing there. I looked in msconfig and didn't even see the dellnet dialer there. I found 2 C:\Program Files\Network Associates\McAfee Virusscan\webscanX.exe/runservices listings, so I unchecked 1 of them, then restarted the computer. It started up fine. Then when I started it the next time, McAfee and the dialer were back again.

I've tried http://www.answerteam.com and http://www.service911.com and http://www.pcshowandtell.com and they couldn't figure it out either.

What else should I try? Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks,
Caracas
Caracas@dellnet.com

374 Posts

April 11th, 2000 12:00

The two listings there are needed to run McAfee from boot, and continuously monitor your system.

The dial up problem you are incurring could be a result of one of the software programs (probably McAfee) trying to tell you an update is available and you should update. These automatic update notification features can be disengaged through the software itself, as opposed to the operating system or DUN connection. I would check with the offending software for options of auto notification and auto update and disengage those options.

Hope this helps.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2000 17:00

Dan,

I appreciate your answer, but I don't really understand what you mean.

When McAffee comes up, it's not asking me to scan anything, or to upgrade anything. It's simply coming up as if I double clicked the McAfee Shield in my system tray (it's the status box).

As for the dialer...it's simply coming up. It doesn't dial automatically because I've got that option turned off.

The question is how do I make it so these 2 items DON'T open each time I start the computer?

It's easy to close them both out once the computer has fully started, but I'd rather not have to close these myself. I'd rather that they just didn't appear on startup at all.

Thanks,

Caracas

374 Posts

April 12th, 2000 10:00

Post a list of everything you have checkmarked in MSCONFIG and we'll go from there. Could be a reference in there to load at boot and we'll find it and get rid of it. It may be the McAfee Virus Central Control that is set to load at boot. Post your list and we'll see.

Dan

4 Posts

April 13th, 2000 00:00

OK...Under the General tab:

Selective Startup...
Process Config.sys file
Process Autoexec.bat file
Process System.ini file
Process Win.ini file
Load startup group items

Under the Config.sys tab:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE
DEVICE=c:\windows\setver.exe
[COMMON]
DEVICE=C:\DELL\RTC.CLK +R

Under the Autoexec.bat tab:

C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1\SCAN.EXE C:\
@IF ERRORLEVEL 1 PAUSE
@ECHO OFF
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H5 P330 T6
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\NETWOR~1\MCAFEE~1

Under the Startup tab (do you need the complete listing after the item?):

AIM
RealJukeboxSystray
System Tray
POINTER
LoadPowerProfile
AudioHQ
CTSysVol
RealTray
TaskMonitor
McAfeeWebScanX
ScanRegistry
AvconsoleEXE
VsStatEXE
VsEcomrEXE
LoadPowerProfile
winmodem
SchedulingAgent
McAfeeWebScanX
QuickShelf2000
Shockwave Init
Microsoft Office StartUp

Do you need to know what's under the System.ini and Win.ini tabs?

Thanks for your help.

374 Posts

April 13th, 2000 02:00

I only needed the Startup options. Sorry. I wasn't clear in my post.

Here are my recommentations:

AIM - Uncheck this. You can open it when you need it.

RealJukeboxSystray - Definitely uncheck this one. Again, you can open when needed.

System Tray - Keep Checked.

POINTER - Mouseware, Keep checked.

LoadPowerProfile - If you use Power Management to power down drives and/or turn off monitor, keep these checked (there are two). If you turn off your monitor and computer manually, then uncheck tehse two entries for PowerProfile.

AudioHQ - Don't know if this can be unchecked or not.

CTSysVol - Unfamiliar with this item.

RealTray - Part of RealPlayer. Not needed. Uncheck.

TaskMonitor - keep checked.

McAfeeWebScanX - Virus Protection. keep checked.

ScanRegistry - keep checked.

AvconsoleEXE - Part of McAfee, but not needed. Uncheck.

VsStatEXE - Keep checked. McAfee

VsEcomrEXE - McAfee, but not needed. Uncheck.

LoadPowerProfile - See above.

winmodem - Not needed. Uncheck.

SchedulingAgent - If you use Task Scheduler to run utilities like defrag and scan disk, then keep. If not, make sure all scheduled items are removed from Agent in Control Panel and then uncheck this item.

McAfeeWebScanX - Should be two of these. See above. Keep checked.

QuickShelf2000 - Make Icon and put on desktop or toolbar for this item and then uncheck. Not needed at startup.

Shockwave Init - Uncheck. Not needed.

Microsoft Office StartUp - See QuickShelf2000. Same deal.

Hope this helps. Your problem may be tied to the VsEcomrEXE item in Startup. Let's hop this is it.

4 Posts

April 14th, 2000 00:00

OK Dan,

Your suggestion didn't work.

However, I UNchecked BOTH McAfee ones and then restarted the computer. The McAfee didn't show up. HOWEVER, the Dellnet dialer still shows up.

LOL - we're getting there.

Caracas

374 Posts

April 14th, 2000 02:00

Sorry that wasn't the answer to your situation. All I can tell you is to do a selective boot and see what might be going on, step by step, in the boot process. Then you can see perhaps what is causing the dial up to open. In order to do this, please see this Microsoft Article on troubleshooting start up problems. Print this out and follow directions precisely. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Good luck

No Events found!