Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 13th, 2008 11:00

Memory Upgrade

I need to update memory on a dell dimension xps series computer.  I found the 1 G memory.

Manu Part # SNPJ0203C/1 G Dell part # A0740460

I also found another device with the same specs and manufacturers part number that was on sale ($15 off).

Does anyone know if it would work.  Dell sales support didnt know.

1 GB Module for Dell OptiPlex 170L Desktop.
Manufacturer Part# : SNPJ0203C/1G | Dell Part# : A0740386

Thanks

3.4K Posts

December 13th, 2008 12:00

Hello,

I suggest that you save some money and not buy Dell memory.

It has a very large price markup, and Dell often sends the wrong memory. Crucial memory is well respected here and used by many of the regulars also. Dell systems are very picky with memory upgrades. They require memory that is listed for the specific model number or the upgrade will fail. You can read why this is and find out how to find the correct memory that 'will' work in your model by looking at the memory pages of my web site.

4.6K Posts

December 14th, 2008 10:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-5:

Another option is to visit the Crucial website, and use either their 'System Scan Tool' or 'Memory Advisor Tool', which will help select RAM Crucial guarantee will be compatible with your system :emotion-21:

70 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 19:00

In my experiences YES!

As long as the part#s and specs are the same they'll work.

But I agree with one post here I wouldn't buy Dell Memory it's much cheaper on Ebay.

But unless you can read your specs for your PC/Laptop Mem and match them to those on Ebay.

I'd suggest going to one of the Mem makers sites and using their config tool.

Hope this helps.........

No Events found!