Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2010 06:00

Memory and re-occuring blue screen

Shortly after I received my dell Dimension 5150 a blue screen appeared indicating a memory problem, I rang support and they helped me to correct the problem by taking the steps below.The same occurred sometime later and again I called support and again the problem was fixed using the same steps.

However, now the problem continued to occur intermittently and I was able to cure it using the same procedure; but now it appears to occur almost every time that the PC is switched off and then on. I can fix it by taking the following action....

1. Disconnect the mains at the back of the PC

2. Open the casing - and hold the on/off button until the green light near the memory card slots goes out.

3. Take each of the two memory boards out and then re-insert them (it still happens whichever memory card slot I use)

4. Reconnect and power-up the PC.

Then it works fine until the PC is turned off, which needs to be done on occasion. But obviously it's not very practical for me to have to take the above steps every time I switch it on.  The computer details are Model: Dimension 5150, shipped : 17/08/2006, Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service tag removed per privacy policy>

Does anyone have any idea of what the problem is....?

Thank you

George

December 4th, 2010 14:00

I've been waiting for the answer, I have the issue which is similar to what you have faced, Anybody can answer it? It's very long now.

3 Posts

December 5th, 2010 08:00

Hi Ron

No I never received a reply, so I never managed to permanently fix the problem.

But it doesn't seem to occur if the PC is left on - no good for my carbon footprint, but at least the computer continues to operate.

George

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

December 5th, 2010 17:00

George,

Ron.Loveless is one of a number of bots that have been randomly posting spam in old threads on the Dell forums*. You can usually recognize these trolls because they use a "name.name" user ID. And even though the troll appears to have quoted a prior message in the thread, the quote is usually blank, as in this case.

To answer your question, have you tried replacing the motherboard battery? It's a 3-volt CR2032 lithium ion battery, about US$2-US$3 at discount stores.

RoHe

*EDIT: Dell has been deleting these troll posts and blocking each account as quickly as they pop up. Hopefully Dell will find a way to prevent the trolls from spamming the forums, rather than just reacting to the spam. :emotion-5: 

3 Posts

December 6th, 2010 04:00

Rohe...Thanks for the two tips, I'll try replacing the battery, it's a good tip.

And I'll watch out for the spammers in future.

George

No Events found!