Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 18th, 2009 18:00

Memory for Desktop Dimension 8200

I'm going to upgrade the RAM in my computer.  Presently I have 1 gig, i.e. 4 256 sims.  I'm hoping to go to possibly 4 gigs, but when I read the literature on upgrading the RAM it says.......

NOTICE: If you remove your original memory modules from the computer during a memory upgrade, keep them separate from any new modules that you may have, even if the new modules were purchased from Dell. Your original memory modules must be installed as a pair in either connectors RIMM1 and RIMM 2 or RIMM 3 and RIMM4. Do not pair one original memory module with one new memory module in connectors RIMM1 and RIMM2 or RIMM3 and RIMM4. Otherwise, your computer may not start properly.

Does this mean that I have to keep the original memory installed in the computer?  Or, can I replace all 4 with 1 gig sims?

Thanks

1.6K Posts

January 18th, 2009 19:00

I don't know that anyone ever released 1G RIMMs (you can use only RDRAM on this model) - but given that the max (2G) as 4X512M RIMMs will cost you over $1,000, you'd be better off buying a  new system if you need that much RAM.

There was a time when RDRAM was clearly faster than SDRAM - it is no longer, and a $1,000 new system will have 4-8 G and blow the 8200 out of the water.

It's time for a new system.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 18th, 2009 22:00

rickles1

The 8200 supports 2gb of RDRAM, see HERE 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Bev.

2 Posts

January 19th, 2009 06:00

Thanks for the information.....