Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 14th, 2008 18:00

Missing Vista codec

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron w/Vista.  I use Express Scribe transcription software, which will not play wav files.  I get an error message saying a codec is missing.  I've tried to open the wav files in Media Player hoping that it would automatically downloaded the right codec, but I get that same error message.  Can anyone help me find this missing codec - where can I go to find it, tell me what I'm looking for, or anyone else with the same problem?  I've been searching the internet, but can't really find exactly what I'm looking for.  Any info is APPRECIATED!  Help please.  Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

August 14th, 2008 21:00

I don't know why you would be having problems with wav files, as they are "native" Microsoft full fidelity audio files. 

Did wav files play before you installed the Express Scribe software?  Is the Express Scribe you installed Vista compatible?

If the Express Scribe was a recent installation, use the System Restore function (accessed under Accessories/System Tolls) and restore the PC to a date PRIOR to installing Express Scribe and see if wav files play.  If they do, it would appear the Express Scribe is causing the problem.

No Events found!