Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2015 13:00

Missing operating system on XPS 8300

My system kept getting a blue screen and shutting down. I did a system restore to the point before the blue screen malfunction and the computer was fine. The blue screen started again, once again, system restore...fine...MacAfee security working fine...did a reboot to default settings...boom! Missing operating system error. What can I do? I realize the original info should still be on the computer. I also have a disc to reinstall if necessary.

2 Posts

July 18th, 2015 20:00

Figured it out. Turn on the computer and depress the F2 key. When the Aptio Setup Utility Screen pops up select Advanced using the arrow keys, then select System Configuration using the arrow keys and hit enter. Select SATA Mode using arrow keys hit enter. Select RAID and hit F10 to save. Say yes to save configuration & reset...BOOM!

1 Message

September 18th, 2016 11:00

That's exactly the solution I used following a replacement of the motherboard. My XPS 8300 has  RAID0 in 2 x 1TB which  was not detectable by the new board causing "MISSING OPERATING SYSTEM".

Just flippint SATA mode to "RAID" fixed it! KABOOM

And I will get rid of this RAID0 configuration asap. Get an SSD and put the others in RAID1 or without RAID.

No Events found!