Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2012 13:00

Monitor doesn't turn on when I restart, but it does when I shutdown and then start it again.

The past two times I restarted my computer it has run into a bit of a problem...

You'll hear the fans come on, then they go off... then they come on again, then they go off... then they come on again, there's no beep and I can tell the computer is starting up but the monitor doesn't come on; the power button on the monitor has a yellow/orange color.  And if you let it go, it actually completely boots the computer, you just can't see anything.

So, I end up having to hold in the power button on the desktop, get it to turn off, and then turn it back on... then you get the one blast of the fans, a single beep and the computer starts up, and the monitor comes on. 

The single blast of the fans and the single beep is how it would always start up, so I know something is up whenever it turns the fans on and off and then it has no beep.

But it appears that it has a problem just when restarting? 

I leave my computer on a lot, since I work at home... and I usually just restart it about once a week.  But it seems like it will start up just fine if I shut it down completely and then start it, so I'm not sure what the problem could be.

Any thoughts?

I've got a Dell Inspiron 530 with a 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor
-4GB of RAM
-Windows Vista 64 Bit Operating System
-ATI Radeon HD 3450 Graphics Card
-Dell E207WFP Monitor

4 Posts

August 15th, 2012 19:00

I just call it a blast because it's like a burst where you hear the fans running, the computer starting up and so on... it's not overly loud or anything like that.  There are no issues with my fans... most computers, when you start them up, make a bit of noise, and the fans coming on is part of that noise.

45 Posts

It is possible that your GPU is heating up a lot, that is why your fan is running to its full potential. This happens when you hear your fan louder than usual.

6.4K Posts

Operation of your monitor appears to be normal.  The Dell monitors I have seen normally go to stand-by, with the power light changing to orange, when there is no video from the computer.

Unlike many Dells, I see no diagnostic lights described in the manual for the Inspiron 530 desktop computer, so you may need to check other things.  When you have this problem, what is the behavior of the power light on the computer?  When the computer is running normally, the light should be blue.  Other problems cause the light to change to steady or blinking amber.  What do you see when you are having the problem that you describe?

What devices do you have attached to the computer?  If any, you should try removing everything other than the keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and try restarting the computer to see if you see the same symptom.

Your Owner's Manual is here:  Inspiron 530 Series Desktop Owner's Manual.  The sections on Solving Problems and Troubleshooting Tools may be of help.

4 Operator

• 

4.4K Posts

May 31st, 2013 05:00

This thread has been locked due to inactivity. For assistance, with same issue or a different issue, please click New Post on the top right to start a New Thread.                                

No Events found!