Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 12th, 2010 08:00

Multimedia Video Controller Drivers

I recently upgraded from win xp to win 7.  Now I have no multimedia video controller drivers.

I am on a Dimension 5100.  Under MVC properties it is listed as PCI bus3, device3, function0

Drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)

Windows searched for drivers unsuccessfully.  I have tried downloading drivers from

dells site but none of them have solved the problem.  I'm not sure which drivers to install anyway

since none specifically mention MVC.  If I knew the manufacture I would try downloading from

their site but manufacture is listed as unknown although I'm assuming it would be an Intel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  This is so annoying.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 12th, 2010 10:00

Dell DOES NOT support support Vista or Windows 7 on this model. 

Usually, Windows 7 will install drivers if the hardware is compatible.  Since Windows did not install any drivers it would appear whatever video you have (there are many possible video models according to the Dell downloads) is incompatible.  Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor upgrading?  It would have listed any incompatible hardware and/or software so you wouldn't have surprises or find out your hardware will not support Win 7.

Win 7 Upgrade Advisor

The standard supplied video is "Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (GMA950)"   THIS appears to be a site to download the driver free.   If this does not work, about the only thing I can suggest is you install a new Windows 7 compatible Video Card.   The 5100 has a PCIeX16 Video slot for an add on Video card.  You will have to be careful as the power supply is only 305 watts so you will need a low power model card. 

If the problem is actually "Multimedia AUDIO Controller" (more likely) that is the sound module which is not Vista/Win 7 compatible.  You will have to install a PCI sound card that is Windows 7 compatible.  This is a common problem on older systems that the audio device is not Win 7 compatible and what most users have reported doing on here to get sound.

No Events found!