Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

July 1st, 2006 15:00

My mouse freezes!

Recently my mouse has started freezing if it's been sitting idle for approximately 10 seconds.  I have to either right or left click it to get it moving again; but that can cause problems depending on where the mouse was when it went idle.  Any suggestions?  It's a Dell wireless mouse that I've had for a long time and it never used to do this.  Thanks!

July 2nd, 2006 18:00

Batterys running low? interference? thats all i can think of.

46 Posts

July 2nd, 2006 18:00

Ho Ho Ha Ha He He....very funny!  But I thought of that already, so you're TOO late.  I did crochet a mouse cozy so it could stay a little warmer.  It's not working!  And the batteries are new.  It's almost like the mouse goes into immediate hibernation and I have to wake it up constantly.  And no....it's not a bear...it's a mouse.  Anymore genius ideas?  lol  Thanks!

1K Posts

July 2nd, 2006 22:00

What is your CPU running at when this occurs? Could be your processor or memory is maxing out due to perhaps a background or other program running, This could be due to a number of reasons including trojans, viruses, malware or it may be one of your apps is attempting to connect to an update service or something similar. Hold down Ctl-Alt-Delete, select the performance tab, and see what your CPU is doing, if running high, click on the processes tab and see what is running. Google the process name to see what it is, and how it may affect you if you choose to disable it.

683 Posts

July 3rd, 2006 11:00

You need to replace your wireless mouse with a standard PS/2 or USB mouse to see whether the problem is down to your wireless mouse or not. I suspect not - in my experience, mouse freezes are are usually caused by some other piece of software locking up.

46 Posts

July 3rd, 2006 11:00

Well I got my son to come in and mess with my computer and Lo! he fixed the problem.  I'm not sure what he did but I'm thrilled!  Thanks to all for the great suggestions.
No Events found!