Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2006 11:00

NDIS.SYS Stop Error

New system - XPS600 with NForce chipset (wish I'd known before I ordered!!!). Getting frequent IRQL_Less_Than_Or_Equal_To (ndis.sys) errors (Running XP). I assume this is related to the network controller. Will installing a third party Ethernet card eliminate the problem? Thanks.

BTW - all drivers are up to date (from the OEM Websites) and the BIOS is flashed to the latest release. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any recent driver for the Nforce Network Controller.

47 Posts

May 29th, 2006 19:00

There seems to be an issue with the Dell drivers for the motherboard and programs that stress the network device such as downloading using bittorrent/ edonkey etc  I take it you're connected to the internet on a network using a router?
That's why I suggested using the nvidia drivers because that usually fixes the problem.

240 Posts

June 1st, 2006 14:00

like i mentioned before i was getting the same issue...while downloading torrents etc..i would get the NDIS.sys error. i uninstalled mcafee and disabled DEP (and possibly disable the executive bit technology) in the BIOS...fixed my probs.

16 Posts

June 1st, 2006 14:00

And as I said, I followed your advice and disabled DEP. I would never use McAfee (at our site we rate it as the worst of the worst - sorry). I use Kaspersky AV and do not use a third party firewall (I have a NAT in the router and use XP's built-in firewall). I do appreciate your assistance, but so far no luck.

One question though - what is it you disabled in the bios??? I disabled DEP by changing the boot.ini to "AlwaysOFF"

16 Posts

June 12th, 2006 22:00

I added a Linksys Ethernet card a week or so ago and disabled the onboard networking in BIOS. So far there have been no blue screen errors. It appears that taking the load off the mobo has helped - at least so far :)
No Events found!